Isaiah Range recuperates after injuries

Photo by JAELYN STANSBURY/CHIEF PHOTOGRAPHER

After his hospital stay, medical personnel placed a boot on Isaiah Range leg and gave him crutches.

Jessica Sims, Staff Reporter/Writer

Isaiah Range is the leading scorer for the Alabama State University men’s basketball team. In a Feb. 4th matchup against the Grambling State University Tigers at the Dunn-Oliver Acadome, Range fell and and broke his leg in two places, ​​causing him to be immediately rushed to a local hospital.
Despite the severity of his injuries and only spending a few days in the hospital, Range has decided to not dwell on his situation.
“I am doing well,” he said. “I am in good spirits, not too down about the situation. I understand it happened, but I won’t let this mess with me mentally. I’m finding the good in all of it.”
However, he is still in disbelief that this happened to him because the fall did not seem that serious to him.
“I don’t feel as if I fell that hard for my leg to snap like that. My biggest thought is just disbelief,” he said in reflection.
According to Range, the physicians informed him that he had broken both the tibia and fibula in his left leg. They are giving him a tentative recovery time of three to four months. So far, they are saying he is healing well. There are no fractures, and everything is in line for a speedy recovery.
Range wants to thank everyone for their love and support. He is appreciative of everyone reaching out to him and his family as well.
“I’m doing just fine, and I’ll be back out there real soon,” Range notes, speaking directly to the fans.
Head basketball coach Tony Madlock, Sr. gave insight into what the team has been like without Range.
“It’s been tough,” Madlock said. “Anytime you lose your leading scorer, a guy who is bringing in a lot of experience and skill, one of the team’s leaders, it puts a bit of a shock on your team. We are missing Zay every day.”
In terms of the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) Tournament, they are trying to find their way. In order to qualify for the tournament, they will have to remain in the “Top 8.”
“We are in a dogfight right now,” Madlock said. “It’s just one of those things that, without Zay, the whole team will have to step up. Three or four guys have had to step their game up to make up for what we are missing from Zay.”
His teammates have most certainly felt the void.
“It is definitely difficult when you lose your leading scorer,” said Eric Coleman, a junior forward on the team. “It has affected our ability as a whole.”
Sophomore guard T.J. Madlock., referenced Range’s leadership.
“Not only is he our leading scorer, but a leader on the team,” he said. “It has brought us closer. We want to do well and win for him.”
Graduate guard Damien Madison, a graduate senior who plays guard, thinks back on that day, and describes it as crazy and saddening.
“The situation itself is crazy; when it first happened, the only way I could describe it is as something you would see on TV,” Madison said. “For it to be your teammate, your brother, for it to happen to him, it’s crazy to see it. Knowing that we still have to continue the season without him, caused everyone to step their game up. He can still lead us even though he is injured, but it is not the same as him being on the court.”
Junior forward Jordan O’Neal again stressed the need for the team to make up for the loss of Range’s scoring.
“He brought it every day, and he led by example,” he said. “Him (Range) being our head of the snake just showed everybody that we had to step our game up. It was hard at first. It was traumatizing to see. He works hard every day. It felt like the season was over.”
“Even though it hurt us and was sad, it showed us not to take anything for granted. He is one of the people that brought it every day, so it can happen to any one of us playing this sport. It humbled us at the same time,” Madison added.
“Even after it happened, he still kept his same positive mindset,” Coleman said. “He still continued to encourage us and told us to stay focused.”