Stewart urges students to choose friends wisely, develop Hornet pride

The 123rd Founders’ Day speaker was Courtney Stewart, a 2003 alumnus and founder of The Right Hand Company and Keep Cool Records.

Jessica Sims, Staff Reporter/ Writer

A virtual audience of students, faculty, staff, administrators and alumni of Alabama State University listened carefully as Courtney Stewart, a 2003 alumnus, and founder of The Right Hand Company and Keep Cool Records, delivered a stirring and enthusiastic address recognizing the sacrifices of the university’s founders on Feb. 3, 2023, at 11 a.m.
During the 123rd Founders’ Day Convocation, Stewart gave credit to the nine former slaves, affectionately called the “Marion Nine,” responsible for educating Black men and women.
“These men had the foresight to know that their $500 investment in 1867 would turn into generations of educated confident men and women exuding Black excellence,” Stewart said. “We are the lineage of the Marion Nine.”
Stewart informed the audience that each and every one of them must tap into their faith, vision and drive to discover their superpower.
He mentioned a valuable lesson he learned while attending the university was selecting the right friends.
“Choosing friends that are going to motivate you,” he said. “Choosing friends that are going to encourage you and hold you accountable. The friends that I made at Alabama State became my family, they became lifelong friends. They were all that I had so we had to stick together. We were broke and ambitious but we made the best of it. It actually was some of the best memories of our lives. Even to this day, I am still connected to my ASU family.”
Stewart talked about Hornet pride and what it means to him.
“I was taught Hornet pride at Alabama State,” he said. “When you have Hornet pride, you have the confidence to go into a room when you’re outside of your comfort zone and still make an impact. When you have Hornet pride, you don’t stick your nose up in the air like you are better than everyone else. Hornet pride is integrity and intelligence, all while being humble. It takes a Hornet to have the courage to let my personal pride down and lift your ASU pride up.”
Despite the Founders’ Day program being held virtually for the past four years, the traditional bell-ringing ceremony opened the program. The nine founders and departed president were represented by the 10 chimes. The national anthem was sung by Cordelia Anderson, Ph.D., followed by ‘Lift Every Voice’ by the University Choir.
Pastor Robert White, J.D., of the Montgomery City of Refuge Church, led the invocation with a prayer, and Student Government Association (SGA) Executive President, Dylan Stallworth extended his gratitude to the founders for allowing him the opportunity to receive a world-class education.
Director of Alumni Relations Cromwell Handy presented the 2023 Spirit of Marion Award to two outstanding alumni recipients. The Spirit of Marion Award recognizes an individual whose personal endeavors reflect the spirit of Marion and the Marion Nine.
Kioshana Lacount Burrell, A proud graduate of the Percy J. Vaughn College of Business Administration, was the recipient of the 2023 Spirit of Marion Award.
“I was very surprised, grateful and honored to be counted among the previous recipients,” Burell said as she expressed her excitement upon receiving the award. She credits Alabama State University for teaching her how to critically think and how to navigate the real world.
The Spirit of Tullibody Award is given in honor of one of the longest-serving presidents of the university’s history, William Burns Patterson. Receipts of this award exemplify Patterson’s legacy through their notable contributions to their community and alma mater.
The recipient of the 2023 Spirit of Tullibody Award was Larry Mack. He currently serves as the Director of Human Resources at NASA in Huntsville, AL.
“Any time you have the opportunity to be recognized by your alma mater it is truly a blessing,” Mack said. “For me, I am humbled and grateful for the opportunity to serve.”
President Quinton T. Ross Jr., Ed.D., ended the ceremony by thanking the keynote speaker and audience for tuning in. The University Choir sang a special rendition of the university hymn, followed by a special message from the Office of Institutional Advancement.