Students release frustrations during Town Hall meeting

PHOTO BY LATEEF OLOKO/STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER

Sen. Chavon Brown and Sen. Kameelah Freeman listen carefully as students express their feelings regarding a number of issues.

Steven Jones, Staff Reporter/ Writer

Editor’s note: In order to report this story authentically, the names of the students who had complaints were omitted as many of them did not state their names as they voiced their complaints. This is not standard procedure, but we will make this exception for this story.
Student Government Association (SGA) Sen. Chavon Brown hosted a town hall meeting in the John Garrick Hardy Center Theater Feb. 2, 2023, for Alabama State University students to get their grievances out and attempt to bridge the gap between the students and the administration.
Joined by Sen. Kameelah Freeman, the meeting covered topics of public safety and residence hall conditions. Members of the university administration that were present to answer questions included ASUPD Sergeant Stoney Davis, Vice President of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management Malinda Swoope, and others.
A number of topics were discussed, such as police officers’ response times, mold and maintenance issues in the residence halls, Charles Johnson (C.J.) Dunn Tower’s washing machines, and more.
The discussion began with a female student who resides in C.J. Dunn Tower complaining about random outsiders coming on the campus and harassing female students.
“I feel like I should be able to walk on campus and feel safe … we should have more security on campus … it seems like y’all don’t care.”
Davis informed the student that the police department does the best with what they have and that they can only be in so many places at once. He continued by giving students a number to call in case a problem occurred. However, a student responded, “Can y’all answer the phone a little bit faster? One time it took me five calls before I could get an answer.” Davis responded, “There is only one person in the office that answers the phone, and she has to get around to many people … sometimes you have to be patient.”
Sen. Brown proposed the idea of having students help with the calls in cases such as the one the young lady in the audience was referring to. Davis explained that they had such a program in the past, however, the university dropped it some time ago.
“I don’t know why they did away with that program, but it would be a big help,” Davis said.
Another student changed the subject and asked the officer about the bullet that hit a window in front of Facilities One Jan. 27, 2023.
“We heard nothing about the actual incident; we only received an email about gun violence. What if that bullet would have hit my window or any other student’s window? Would you all have sent that email or addressed the situation?”
Davis responded, “That is the first I heard of the situation … If we don’t get any calls, there is no way we are going to know about it.”
Sen. Brown informed the audience about the LiveSafe app that can be downloaded on the Google or Apple Store for students to use when they feel there is someone dangerous on campus or they feel they are in danger.
“This gives students a direct line of communication to Chief Keldrick Kendrick,” Sen. Brown said.
The student who brought up the time that it takes for the police to respond said, “I understand that it takes time for change, but I would like for you guys to respond faster. After so many days I am ready to call the real police; even though you guys are the real police, you don’t act like it.”
Davis went on to give the students his personal number to contact him, saying, “My shift does not start till 3 p.m., so anything before that I can’t help you, but I will find someone to help you with any problems you may have.”
Sen. Brown then asked the collective, “Would they feel safer if they put out some sort of statement about the incident would they feel safer?” While a member of the administration tried to obtain a further understanding by asking if the bullet was ever reported to the police. The student who expressed their thoughts about the door explained that the Facility One housing director was aware of it but did not know what actually happened or if the police were informed.
Sen. Brown said, “that is something that we will definitely bring up to SGA and also stay on SGA. We are supposed to be here to advocate for you.”
A male student asked when someone is pulled over, “there are about four police cars,” however, there are not that many seen on campus.
Davis explained that when an officer pulls someone over, they get on the radio to let other officers know, and the other officers volunteer to help in the arrest. He explained that since the arresting officer does not know how many other officers may show up, it results in situations like these.
“I understand the need for backup, but when I was pulled over, the officer got out of the car, and I looked to my left and saw three other police cars surrounding me, and I am only one person,” a female student said.
“There are many laws out now to where everyone is carrying a gun, so we do not know what we can be walking into during a traffic stop … At the end of the day, I want to go home,” Davis said.
A student asked Davis, “How they determine who comes on campus?” Davis reminded the student that everyone is supposed to display their identification upon entering campus.
“I know some don’t, but the officers learn most of your cars, so they do just let some of you all through.” He also mentioned there needed to be a discussion with the department about gate security.
Another student brought up the incident that happened in the Hardy Center, where a man came onto campus spewing hate speech towards many different communities that reside on campus.
The officer admitted to letting the stranger onto compass but did not have any knowledge that he was going to do what he did. While questions of why the officer did not intervene were asked, another student provided the crowd with more information about the situation.
“Once the man was removed, he came back, and the officer just stood on the phone saying man, this is crazy and laughing … that wasn’t professional.”
Sen. Brown explains that the man was taken to the campus police department, where he showed proof of him being allowed on campus, and then he came back. Swoope added that they do let people on campus with the right approval. She says “that once they were notified of the situation, public safety stepped in, however, the reaction was not immediate because of the right to freedom of speech.”
A number of students wanted to know how locals are approved to promote things on campus, and students have to follow certain protocols in order to promote something by showing their entire presentations to the board for pre-approval.
“There are protocols for locals to follow in order to be able to promote things on campus,” Swoope said. “There is a need for some type of software for you all to ask us questions … this is an institution of higher learning … we are not perfect, we may fall short at times, but we all need to work on one accord.”
One student gave an emotional account of a frightening encounter where someone threatened her on her way back from a night class.
“I love this school, but I am thinking of leaving because I am terrified,” she said
Swoope asked for the student’s name and number so that she could make a referral to the university counseling center.
“We are an institution, and many institutions, whether it is night or evening classes or even going to get food, ask that you go in groups for safety,” she said. “Ask your roommate or a friend, don’t walk by yourself, or ask security for an escort … at the end of the day, our priority is the student safety, and the student’s priority is the student safety as well … find a buddy system.”
When students questioned why they could not have tasers or pepper spray to protect themselves , they were told that in the past those things were used inappropriately.
The discussion then shifted to the residence halls.
Sen. Brown asked how many of the students in the audience how many of them lived on campus and had maintenance issues in the past year with most of them raising their hands. With most students present raising their hands, the discussion of mold in residence hall rooms came up.
“I got sick from having mold in the showers,” one student said. “My light fell close to me while I was in the bathroom,” said another. A plethora of students even explained that facilities maintenance comes into their rooms at all hours of the night to fix something.
A resident assistant from C.J. Dunn Towers spoke about the issues with he laundry room in the build and how they have to rely on other dormitories or a city laundromat to wash their clothes.
“One girl told me she just buys clothes instead of washing because it is too much on her from happening to deal with classes and her extracurriculars,” she said.
According to Swoope the issue is being attended to ans should be fixed by Feb. 18.
Sen. Brown concluded the meeting due to a time crunch.
“We will have another meeting next week to have a conversation strictly on public safety, and if your questions did not get answered, you can write it on one of our index cards or contact anyone from SGA or any of the administrators present today,” she said. “We are here to help.”
After the meeting concluded one student was asked how he felt about the meeting.
“I mean, a lot was said,” he said, “but there is still a lot more to be talked about.”