Robinson formally crowned Miss Alabama State University

Photo by JAELYN STANSBURY/CHIEF PHOTOGRAPHER

Toward the end of the Coronation festivities, Kendra Angion, Miss Alabama State University 2021-22, crowns Aleah Robinson, Miss Alabama State University 2022-23. Robinson continues a legacy that started 83 years ago at Alabama State University.

Brionna McCall, University News Reporter/Writer

An evening of elegance music and dance is an appropriate description for the formal crowning of Miss Alabama State University Aleah Robinson.
The coronation was held on Oct. 4 in the Dunn-Oliver Acadome. Robinson was officially sworn in as the 83rd Miss ASU, celebrating along with the royal court, Beta Eta Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., campus queens, escorts, her family and many more.
The event included performances such as a praise dance by the Aarin Carver Dance Ministry, dance performances by the Alabama State University Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) dancers and a vocal performance to the song, “More Than Anything” by Phinese Reed and Faith Blackwell.
Following the vocal performance, the campus queens and their escorts made their way across the stage, representing the various student organizations.
The Beta Eta chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. presented a step performance dedicated to sisterhood/brotherhood.
According to Robinson, she is very thankful for her sisters who were a shoulder to lean on throughout her years at the university. The Divine Nine campus queens made their appearance during the celebration. The queens included Miss Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Miss Beta Pi, Miss Black and Gold, Miss Black, Miss Gold, Miss Beta Eta, Miss Gamma Beta, Miss Blue and White, Miss Beta Chi and Miss Sigma Gamma Rho.
The Royal Court made their appearance on stage along with their escorts. The queens included Miss Freshman Honesty Brown, Miss Sophomore Ferrin Lewis, Miss Junior Kayla Edwards and Miss Senior Payton Maffett.
Little Miss ASU Kelsie Raye and Little Miss Hornet MaKensly Ford stood by as Kendra Angion, the 82nd Miss ASU said her farewell. Following the farewell, Robinson made her special appearance on stage to say her oath of office, officially becoming Miss ASU.
Angion crowned Miss Robinson, who was provided the traditional royal scepter, collar and train. Robinson walked gracefully across the stage waving to her subjects.
Following the crowning, President Quinton T. Ross, Jr., Ed.D., and Robinson did the traditional waltz, until he acquiesced to Robinson’s father, Richard Robinson. He looked at his daughter in admiration as they waltz across the stage.
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. serenaded Robinson as the celebration came to a close.
Cahlil Mapson, a sophomore music major, participated as Mr. National Honor Society of Leadership and Success (NSLS) in the event.
“I felt that the coronation was a great event,” he said. “I enjoyed every aspect of it, and congratulations to everyone who participated.”
Kaylen Hamilton, a sophomore biology pre-health major, participated as Miss NSLS in the event.
“It was an amazing experience from start to finish,” she said. “It is a memory that I will cherish for a lifetime.”
Chavon Brown, a junior business management major, said the showcasing of the various queens was good.
“I felt that the coronation was a very beautiful event being able to showcase all of the different queens and seeing the crowning of the 83rd Miss Alabama State,” she said.
Joi Key, a junior communications major, participated as Miss NAACP in the coronation.
“The coronation was absolutely beautiful,” she said. “Everyone looked gorgeous and you could see the effort Aleah and her crew did to make the event successful. I was honored to be a part of something so special!”