Comedy show adds a different flavor to Homecoming

Khalil Stewart, Sports and Intramurals Editor

Laughter and fun were present during the Alabama State University Comedy Show on Oct. 5.

Montgomery native Kiesha McCall comedy routines tend to focus on life and work during the Homecoming comedy show. (Photo by JAELYN STANSBURY/CHIEF PHOTOGRAPHER)
Destiny Turner, vocalist for the comedy show, had the crowd on their feet as she sang one of her favorite songs. (Photo by JAELYN STANSBURY/CHIEF PHOTOGRAPHER)
Comedian John Henton, known to many as ‘Living Single’s” Overton Wakefield, entertained the audience during his set. (Photo by JAELYN STANSBURY/CHIEF PHOTOGRAPHER)

Kool Ice Bubba hosted the night of fun, but the main attraction was the former “Living Single” actor John Henton.
The opening acts on the night were comedians Kiesha McCall and Country Boy. There was also a live performance by Destiny Turner. The event took place inside The Nest.
Valesia Snead, an alumna, was very happy with the comedians and their performances.
“This event was amazing,” she said. “John Henton was one of my favorite actors of the 1990s and early 2000s. I’m so proud of MYASU.”
Snead also expressed her excitement about the timing of homecoming.
“I am very happy that the school came up with the idea of separating homecoming from Turkey Day,” she said. “This gives students a real opportunity to enjoy the venue. The school was far from this beautiful when I attended, venues like The Nest were not present. Students should be appreciative of this.”
Dexter Oliver, a former Hornet football player, said, “The comedy show tonight was amazing. The Nest is exactly what alumni like myself needed to show fellowship amongst one another.”
He continued.
“Honestly, I can admit that I am a little bit more excited for this homecoming event than the Magic City Classic, and that is a lot coming from a former player who loves that rivalry.”
Dawn Misty, an alumna, explained what homecoming means to her.
“Homecoming is something we never got the opportunity to experience,” she said. “We were subjected to the Turkey Day Classic. I truly try to enjoy my time at events like this because it shows the hard work and dedication alumni like myself and others put in.”
Ronnie Thomas, who is a proud alumnus, added.
“I have enjoyed all the events this week,” he said. “This comedy show tonight was great, not only because John Henton was here, but also the opportunity it gave to other comedians.”
“As far as the homecoming game, I am definitely looking forward to seeing my Hornets upset the Tigers. Many people have been sleeping on us this year, but that is exactly how we want them.”
Travae Donald, a two-time graduate of the university, talked about the comedy show.
“I am just like everyone else you spoke to, I am proud of Alabama State University.” Donald continued. “The comedy show was entertaining, however the whole time I have been back on campus, I have been in shock.”
“There are significant changes on this campus since I was a student here in the early 2000s,” he said. “There is still a long way to go, however we are off to a great start.”