Hornets get revenge against MVSU Delta Devils

PHOTO BY LATEEF OLOKO/MANAGING EDITOR

Sophomore receiver Kisean Johnson is corralled by a Delta Devil defender en route to a 24-9 voctory for the Hornets.

Khalil Stewart, Sports and Intramurals Editor

Fans had more fun watching paint dry, as the Alabama State University Hornets defeated the Mississippi Valley State University Delta Devils 24-9, Oct. 13 inside ASU’s stadium. For the Hornets, this win put them above .500 at 4-3, and the Delta Devils remained in search of their first victory.
The Hornets starting quarterback for this game was sophomore Myles Crawley started at quarterback for the Hornets, due to freshman Dematrius Davis reinjuring his shoulder in the Hornets’ previous matchup against the Jackson State University Tigers. Unfortunately for the Hornets, on fourth down Jaelyn Lay was tackled just short of the marker forcing a turnover on downs.
The Delta Devils established their run game early converting four consectivte first downs on the ground. Fortunately for the Hornets, sophomore linebacker Colton Adams stopped junior running back Caleb Johnson short of the first down, forcing a Delta Devil punt. On the following possession Crawley was picked off by Delta Devil junior defensive back Abdural Lee in the red zone.
After the turnover, Delta Devil junior quarterback T.J. Goodwin led the offense on a 53-yard drive which set them up for a field goal. A block by the Hornets’ special teams unit set up senior cornerback Keenan Isaac for a 77-yard return, giving the offense great field position.
On the next play the Hornet offense capitalized on the field position, as Crawley tossed a touchdown pass to sophomore fullback Dylan Creech. Delta Devil junior running back Caleb Johnson broke off a 17-yard rush putting them in field goal range. Delta Devil Junior kicker Orlando Fernandez cut the Hornet lead to four 7-3.
Just before the half, Crawley led the Hornets in a seven-play, 45-yard drive, resulting in a 2-yard touchdown rush from senior running back Ja’Won Howell. The Hornets went into halftime with a 14-3 lead.
There was not much action through the third and fourth quarter, until Crawley completed a 17-yard touchdown pass to junior wide receiver Jeremiah Hixon.
Robinson spoke on the victory, “We needed to get a bounce back week.” He continued, “Despite Valley’s record they are one of the more competitive teams in our league, so I told the guys we cannot take them lightly.”
He proceeded, “The biggest thing we did today was kick the ball well, so I hope that is something we can build on.”
Crawley completed 16-of-26 of his passes for 270 yards with two touchdown passes, and two interceptions. Sophomore running back Jacory Merritt registered 11 rushes for 41 yards. Johnson led the Hornets in receiving yards with five receptions for 116 yards.
The Hornets head into their bye week as they prepare for the 82nd Magic City Classic against Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University.
For Robinson this will be his first return to the Magic City Classic since 1991. Last year the Hornets were defeated by the Bulldogs 28-42.
The Hornets have an opportunity to end the Bulldogs four-game winning streak. Both teams still have an opportunity to compete for the Southwestern Athletic Conference championship, as the Hornets currently rank no.4 in the SWAC East division, while the Bulldogs rank no.3.
The Bulldogs enter this game riding a three-game win streak, in which they have averaged 30 points per game.
This game will take place Oct. 29, in Birmingham, Alabama at 2 p.m.