Students react to Magic City Classic win

Lateef Oloko/Staff Photographer

After an exciting, invigorating and thrilling win by the Alabama State University Hornets during the fourth quarter, students, alumni and fans stood in line to take photos with the Magic City Classic trophy.

Khalil Stewart, Sports and Intramurals Editor

After four years of falling in defeat to the Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University Bulldogs, the Alabama State University football won the 81st Magic City Classic in epic fashion. The upcoming graduating class of 2023 at Alabama State University has never seen the Hornets win the Magic City Classic.
Keenan Isaac, a senior who is a member of the football team, said, “It was just important for us to prove ourselves right.” He proceeded, “As you said, my class hasn’t ever witnessed us win the classic, so for us to get that victory was big.”
He continued.
“Our mentality coming into the game was to keep them on their toes and play a complete game. We didn’t play a complete game but we got the job done when it mattered.”
Senior Alan Rivas, a senior mentioned.
“As a senior that works for the team, it was great,” he said. “Jeremiah Hixon and Dee did what they had to do on that final play. I wish it wasn’t that stressful every year, but it is good to come out on the winning side of things for sure.”
Reginald Flowers, a sophomore, spoke about the victory, “I’m not really that into football, to be honest, but this was obviously a big win.” Flowers continued, “The way the game ended I thought we were going to storm the field. I hope we continue our winning ways this season.”
Nicole King, a graduate student, added, “This was a huge victory for my Hornets.” she said. “I’m so proud of how those boys went out there and performed. The first half made me nervous. I can’t lie but we stuck with it. I’m hoping that we can win out and finish with an 8-3 record to potentially compete for a SWAC championship.”
Jasmine Snell, a junior, mentioned, “Honestly I’m just happy that we came through with the victory.” She continued, “Losing five years in a row would have been unacceptable. I’ll also say I was hoping that our school celebrated this victory more. You would think that after losing for that many years in a row, we would throw a party or something. I mean we party for everything else.”
Cristian Wright, a junior added. “I’m lit. I mean we got the win and I’m happy because losing four years in a row ain’t cool. I spent the spring and summer with the team and I knew we had a chance.”
Lazarus Walker, a sophomore said. “We are SWAC baby!” He proceeded, “Winning is what it’s all about. But the season ain’t over yet, we gotta finish this thing out strong.” Walker added.
“The hope is we can go ahead and win this SWAC championship because that would top off a great season by this team and coaching staff,” he said.
Jarvis Mitchell, a senior, added, “We gotta keep going. We gotta finish this season with these eight wins and hopefully contend for that championship.”
Mitchell mentioned, “All offseason long everybody was talking about how we hired a real estate agent, but that real estate agent putting the whole SWAC in they places.”
Jarvis Minter, a senior, said, “It was fun. It’s always good to win as the underdog. I don’t think many people outside of this school believed that we could win.”
He continued.
“The Alabama State football program is in great hands with Coach Robinson and Dematrius Davis. We gotta find ways to even that all-time series up so we can get some bragging rights in the city.”
Renil Pully, a senior, said, “It was a great experience for us to win the Magic City Classic. I enjoyed the atmosphere, the weather was great it was just a great environment.”