Hornet family mourns the loss of Nadine Tyus

Staff Report, The Hornet Tribune

An honor graduate of Verbena High School and cum laude graduate of Alabama State University died on Thursday morning, March 9 after an extended illness.

Nadine Tyus, 59, who began her employment career at Alabama State University in 1988, retired from the university in 2014, after working 25 years in the Office of Financial Aid.  During that time, she assisted thousands of students and was known for her loving nature and caring attitude.

One of those students was Corey Marshall, a biology major from Mobile, Alabama.

“Ms. Tyus was a treasure to many ASU students,” he said.  “She had her own underground railroad of students that she went over and beyond to make sure they were financially straight.  The time and effort that she contributed to our success will help all of us to pay it forward to others.   Relationships like that are hard to find.”

One of her former co-workers, Patricia Cotton, was saddened by the news of her death.

“Nadine Tyus was more than my co-worker; she was my friend,” she said. “She was passionate about her work. The patience she exhibited when counseling students was admirable. It was evident that she really cared about the students she served because her counseling went far beyond processing their financial aid and included advice and assistance with life issues. Nadine had a positive impact on many Alabama State University students.”

Kamela Kenndy, coordinator of Student Life remembers Tyus fondly.

“It was a joy to work with Ms. Tyus,” she said.  “I will never forget the warmth her smile brought to each of us everyday.  This loss will be felt by many.   I remember her countless efforts in assisting me with not only work, but also her assistance in helping me to find funds to continue my education.  Memories of her wonderful personality and many contributions to students, co-workers and friends will be celebrated by all.”

Tyus was born March 1,1964 to the late Morris and Lois Tyus in Verbena, Alabama in the community of Lily Hill in Chilton County, Alabama.

A celebration of her life will be held on Saturday, March 25 at noon.