UPAB holds its first awards banquet

Photo by JAELYN STANSBURY/MANAGING EDITOR

UPAB President Martavious Young presents Kameelah Freeman with the “Leaders in Action Award” during the first awards banquet.

Denise Ringo, Staff Reporter/ Writer

The University Programs and Activities Board (UPAB) paid tribute to the members Tuesday, April 22, in the Ralph Abernathy Hall Great Hall of Teachers by hosting its first awards banquet since the organization’s inception.
Due to COVID-19, the organization was not able to host an event of this nature earlier.
“It’s an opportunity for us to award and highlight our students for their contributions to the organization and the community,” said Martavius Young, UPAB president. “It’s important to highlight and recognize people who give their time, money, and energy to and for Alabama State University.”
The organization, which celebrates is sixth birthday, hosted a total of 28 events this year including five financial literacy and career readiness workshops; a mental health retreat, its second annual fall festival and Spring Sting 23.
An organization that touts 76 members, UPAB offers students an opportunity to create a variety of educational, fun and exciting activities and programs for the student body.
According to some of its members, participating in the creation of these activities and programs allows students to make new friends, have diverse experiences and better adjust to college all in a fun, substance-free environment.
Sophomore and UPAB Executive Assistant Isaiah Brunson explained the night also had special relevance to the organization itself.
“Tonight is not just about the members but also the organization itself and what we’ve done, the e-board, the general members, everyone who played a part in this organization this year.”
According to Young, with over 63 new members added to the organization, UPAB was able to step up this year to raise funds and resources to accomplish their goals.
Along with the awards, dinner was provided to all of the attendees for their enjoyment. Music was played to support the good mood, and some UPAB members could not help but to move out of their seats and dance.
“We need to be celebrated and appreciated,” UPAB member and junior Nailah Davenport said. “Sometimes our hard work goes overlooked, and this event is to show that they appreciate us.”
The night was full of good vibes and appreciation coming both ways, from the university and from the students.
According to Young, students who participate in UPAB can expect more celebrations.
“In the future, more ceremonies like this will be held to say a giant “Thank You” to those who worked hard to make Alabama State University the best campus it can be,” Young said.
UPAB was founded in 2017 as an organization for students who wanted to learn how to execute programs and activities for the student body.
Elections are held during the spring semester for the next year.