Official student newspaper of Alabama State University

The Hornet Tribune

The Hornet Tribune

The Hornet Tribune

Evening Out Formal Wear
Heritage Barbershop

15-year-old will be charged as adult in Dadeville mass shooting that left 4 dead

A 15-year-old defendant in the April fatal mass shooting in Dadeville will face charges as an adult, District Attorney Mike Segrest confirmed Wednesday.

The unnamed Tuskegee native’s status was decided by Juvenile Court Judge Kim Taylor, according to an announcement of the district attorney’s Facebook page.

State law bars law enforcement officials from releasing his name due to his age, even though he is being charged as an adult in circuit court. He faces the same charges as the five co-defendants; including four charges of murder and 25 charges of assault each, Segrest said.

The next step is an Aniah’s Law hearing during which the state will ask for him to be held without bond. That hearing will likely be closed to the public.

The case will then go before a session of the grand jury. Segrest anticipates calling the panel back for a special session, just as he did the co-defendants.

The shooting occurred the night of April 15 at a Sweet 16th birthday party held at a dance studio in downtown Dadeville. A large crowd had gathered in the small venue. Killed in the shooting were: Philstavious “Phil” Dowdell, 18, Shaunkivia Nicole “Keke” Smith, 17, Marsiah Emmanuel “Siah” Collins, 19, and Corbin Dahmontrey Holston, 23. Twenty-five people were shot and injured in the incident.

Wilson LaMar Hill Jr., 20, of Auburn, Johnny Letron Brown, 20, of Tuskegee, and Willie George Brown Jr., 19, of Auburn, are also charged in the shootings, records show.

Tyreese “Ty Reik” McCullough, 17, of Tuskegee and Travis McCullough, 16, also of Tuskegee were both arrested on April 18. They are brothers. Their names were released at a news conference held after their arrests. The Montgomery Advertiser is using their names due to the seriousness of the charges.

The McCullough brothers have been charged as adults, officials say, but their court records remain sealed due to their ages.

Law enforcement officials have not alleged a motive for the shootings.