Alabama State University student shot at Spruce Street party dies

An Alabama State University student, shot during an altercation at a residence on Spruce Street early Saturday, has died, according to officials.

Alexis Moss, a 19-year-old sophomore at the university, was critically injured Saturday morning about 1 a.m., Montgomery police Sgt. David Hicks said.

Hicks said that officers responded to the 2200 block of Spruce Street about 1:10 a.m. in reference to a person shot. When officers arrived, they were told that a woman was driven to a hospital in a private vehicle.

Police found the woman at the hospital in critical condition with life-threatening injuries, Hicks said Saturday.

While at the hospital, officers found a second woman, who had also been at the residence, who was being treated for a non-life-threatening gunshot wound.

Investigators believe that a large group was gathered when an altercation broke out and shots were fired, Hicks said. The two victims did not appear to be part of the altercation, police said.

Moss died Monday evening.

ASU President Quinton Ross sent an email to students, faculty and staff announcing the news Tuesday.

“It is with great sadness that I share one of our students has died from injuries that she sustained during an off-campus incident …,” Ross said in the email. “Our heartfelt prayers are with her family as they deal with the loss of a loved one.”

Ross reminded students and staff that free counseling services are available on campus and in the community and provided numbers to reach those services within the email.

Moss is the second ASU student to die this semester by gunfire. Her death, marks the 34th homicide investigation for Montgomery police this year. No arrests have been made in connection to the shooting.

More: Alabama State University student among the dead in shooting outside campus, commission chairman says

Jacquez Hall, 21, was killed alongside 24-year-old Justin Martin when gunfire rang out at an event between campus and the Paterson Court housing complex on North University Drive Aug. 15. Three other people were also struck by gunfire.

No arrests have been made in Hall’s and Martin’s deaths.