ASU selects an interim chief of police

Colby Clark

Kelvin Kendrick, interim Chief of Police

Nefsa'hyatt Brown, Editor-In-Chief

Two months ago, the University President named Kelvin Kendrick interim Deputy Director of Public Safety. Kendrick, who has been involved in police work for the past 15 years, previously worked in investigations and in dignitary protection. Working closely with the university president, Quinton Ross Jr., Ed.D, and chief of staff, Kevin Rolle, Kendrick was responsible for taking care of special university guests upon their arrival to campus.

“Dignitary protection is kind of specialized,” said Kendrick explaining how his current position differs from his work with the university president. “You deal with specific individuals and the deputy director of public safety as a whole I am not only dealing with students faculty staff I’m also dealing with all of the officers.”     

The Wetumpka, Ala native formerly worked as a school resource officer for the Montgomery Police Department for more than eight years before his transition into law enforcement at the university.

“That was one of my favorite times as a police officer because I was actively involved with the youth kind of doing the same things I am doing here,” he said, commenting on his passion for working with the youth. “I’ve always wanted to make a positive impact on people who look like me.”

Noting it as “community policing”, Kendrick expressed his desire to connect with students by concentrating his efforts into involving the entire campus community with the Alabama State University Police Department (ASUPD). He plans to accomplish this goal by working closely with different organizations on campus, such as Violence Against Wo(men) Protection, to create programs to strengthen the relationship between ASUPD and the student body.

Commenting on some concerns of the students, such as the lack of police officers at the checkpoint at night, Kendrick responded that currently, as a result of daylight savings, he is sending officers to the checkpoint around 5:00 or 6:00 p.m. Furthermore, the department is looking into using scanners at the checkpoint, similar to those used at university sporting events.

“Our main job here is to maintain the integrity of this learning environment…24-hours a day people come here to learn,” he said, explaining the importance of having a more accurate measure of checking IDs to ensure that the students who are allowed on campus are currently enrolled in school and belong here.