Students respond to Homecoming parade and Block party

PHOTO BY DAVID CAMPBELL/UNIVERSITY PHOTOGRAPHER

During the first historic Homecoming campus parade, the SGA executive officers boarded the back of a truck as they waved to the crowd as they passed the Alabama State University community.

Tammia Jacobs, Staff Reporter/Writer

As the Hornets of Alabama State University prepare for the gridiron showdown at the  Football Stadium on Oct. 9, 2021, the ‘Bama State Spirit’ can be felt for miles. In proper Hornet fashion, the Student Government Association welcomed the Homecoming weekend with a pregame block party and pep rally after the on-campus Homecoming parade. 

As the alumni arrived, they could be seen waving and smiling as merited guests in the parade as they recalled their fond memories of O’ Mother Dear. 

Students and community members lined up the streets to watch the parade that began on Harris Way and ended at the Old Hornet Stadium. Crowd favorites such as the Mighty Marching Hornets and certain divine nine organizations, namely the men of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. and the men of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., were featured in the Homecoming parade, tossing candy and greeting students. 

Many students had a few words to share about the excitement surrounding Homecoming and the events planned for the day. 

“It’s definitely been a fun time. It feels great to see all of the alumni and I’ve actually spoken with a few of them and got their opinion on campus life now vs. when they were here. I’m glad that after a year of being restricted throughout the pandemic, we are still able to come together like family and celebrate in such a major way,” said junior accounting major Delani Mitchell.

“My favorite part has been seeing all of the alumni returning to the campus,” said sophomore communications major Kyla Patterson. “I know that at the game, there will be even more. It makes me think about how before we know it we will be in their shoes and back visiting the campus to see the next generation of Hornets.” 

The block party played host to delicious concessions and recreational games for students to partake in. Notably, many students attending the block party were chatting about the concert planned for that night, featuring rap artists Moneybagg Yo and Miss Mulatto. 

“Tonight, the big concert is happening, and my friends and I have been learning all of Mulatto’s songs this week to be ready for it,” said freshman political science major Jordan Jones. “I feel good about the events that we have had so far, but I’m especially excited to see the artist and the opening performers that go here too.”

“The concert is the move tonight. It’ll be a good turnout and a good way to come together before the game tomorrow,” said junior criminal justice major Nick Gramble.