Angion crowned Miss Alabama State University

PHOTO BY DAVID CAMPBELL/UNIVERSITY PHOTOGRAPHER

Kendra Angion, Miss Alabama State University is crowned by Yasmine Whitehurst, last year’s Miss Alabama State University.

Brionna McCall, Staff Reporter/Writer

Miss Alabama State University 2020-21 Yasmine Whitehurst placed an official crown on the head of Kendra Angion, a senior studying secondary education, during the formal crowning of Miss Alabama State University 2021-22 on Oct. 5 in the Dunn Oliver Acadome. 

Angion campaigned on the theme Go for the G.O.L.D. which is an acronym for Greatness Obtained through Leadership and Determination. Winning the title of Miss Alabama State University secured Angion a year of tuition, room, board, a 20-Hour contract, as well as several personal appearances throughout the next six months.

During the ceremony, Angion’s introduction highlighted her background and accomplishments that led her to be selected as the 82nd Miss Alabama State University.  She is the youngest of two siblings and was elected president of her graduating class at Dallas County High School and joined the Hornet family in 2018.  Since her first year at ASU, she has been an active student, including numerous campus organizations such as the Golden Ambassadors, NAACP, Collegiate 100, etc., and Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. Kendra also has a substantial record of community service. Through her platform, Miss ASU encourages her fellow studentto go for their goals, community, and health.

She used the Harlem Renaissance as the theme of her coronation, where there were several performances and tributes through dance and poetry.  University organizations that Angion joined since arriving at Alabama State University and dedicated herself to led the performances

During the ceremony, student organization queens and residence hall queens were presented to the public as well as their escorts.  The campus queens represented the numerous student organizations that came together to support the new Miss ASU.  The Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) dancers gave a performance, and following their performance, the 2021-2022 royal court was presented. The royal court includes Miss Freshman, Ferrin Lewis, Miss Sophomore, Chavon Brown, Miss Junior, Aleah Robinson, and Miss Senior, Gabrielle Johnson. Joining them was Little Miss Alabama State University and Little Miss Hornet.  

Whitehurst gave her farewell speech, highlighting her duties and accomplishments during her reign in the 2020-2021 school year.  She gave greetings as she smiled and waved to the audience. She gave thanks to God, her family, royal court, advisers, ASU staff, and the amazing student body. 

“It was an honor being able to serve you,” she said. 

Whitehurst also gave a word of advice to Angion.

“You are truly a woman of elegance, beauty, and prestige,” she said. “Continue carrying that radiant smile and spirit into every move you grace with your presence and always remember that you were created in Christ Jesus to do good works to which God prepared in advance for you.” 

The occasion acknowledged Little Miss Taylor Angion, who bore the queen’s crown. 

President Quinton T. Ross Jr., Ed.D., administered the Oath of Office to Angion. Shortly after, he presented her as the 2021-22 Miss Alabama State University.

Angion and Ross began the traditional waltz before her father, Rev. Stanford Angion, took his place halfway through the dance. The occasion concluded with Kendra’s sisters of the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. gathering around her to serenade her. Everyone gave a last powerful, warm welcome to the official Miss ASU.

“My experience with the coronation was a wonderful experience, especially since it was my first time escorting Miss Golden Ambassador. The decor was spectacular, and Miss Angion looked amazing,” said Jaqualen Jackson, a senior elementary education major.

According to Asia Turner, a sophomore biology pre health major, the coronation was breathtaking. “Every little detail made the night special for our newly crowned Miss ASU and the royal court. The part that was most touching was when the crown was placed upon her head. That moment was so surreal,” Turner said.