The Hornets sweep Alcorn State

ASU vs ALCORN STATE- File

Khalil Stewart, Senior Staff Reporter/Writer

The Alabama State University Hornets closed out the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) cluster picking up another win over Alcorn State University Braves. The Hornets entered this matchup coming off a much-needed win against Prairie View. On the other hand, the Braves were coming off a loss at the hands of Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University.

The first set started with sophomore Jada Rhodes landing a kill, assisted by junior Madison Beasley. Rhodes’ kill was followed by an error from the Braves, which gave the Hornets an early 2-0 lead. The Braves fought back as the two teams continued to trade the lead, and they even had nine ties. Neither team held a double-digit lead until junior Kalysia Bates and sophomore Lauren Hughes added consecutive kills. After a timeout from the Braves, the Hornets controlled the remainder of the set. The Hornets took the set after an ace from junior Rekiyah Spears and two kills from junior Kalysia Bates.

The second set was a tight contest before freshman Maya Thompson and junior Mahogany Vinson added consecutive block assists, which sparked a 13-9 run for the Hornets and a timeout by the Braves. The Braves cut into the lead, slightly but the Hornets prevailed, taking a 25-17 win. 

The final set turned out to be the most competitive. The Hornets jumped out to an early lead, but the Braves found a way to fight back and tie the match 11-11. The Braves ended up taking a 17-16 lead, which forced a timeout from the Hornets. The two teams continued to trade leads, but the Hornets ended up taking a 23-22 lead. The teams tied three times before the Braves made two errors, giving the Hornets a 27-25 win to complete the sweep.

The best performers for this game were from junior Alexis Ratliff, who had 12 kills on the day, which was her third straight double-digit kill performance. Jada Rhodes ended just two digs shy of a double-double, logging eight kills and 10 kills. Sophomore Logan Horne defensively added 11 digs, two assists, and an ace. Horne also logged 39 total digs in three games on the day. Junior Madison Beasley earned a team-high 20 assists for a .488 percentage clip, along with four assists against the Braves.

The Lady Hornets will travel to Daytona Beach Oct. 14 to face off against Bethune-Cookman at 6 p.m.