Alabama State wins their final home game against Southern

Khalil Stewart, Staff Reporter/Writer

The Alabama State University Hornets defeated the Southern University Jaguars to take home their fifth conference match of the season. Mary Martin Mooneyham, Janae Brown and Mckenna Wiscombe were the three seniors honored in their final home game.

After 31 minutes of scoreless play, freshman Camila Jiminez put the Hornets up 1-0 with a goal at the 31:51 mark. Jiminez’s play was her sixth goal of the season. The Hornets maintained their lead throughout halftime, giving up just four shots in the half. Also, freshman Katherine Nedved scored her first goal in the 83rd minute, assisted by freshman Sunny Bowlin-Stacy to put Alabama State up 2-0 for their final score of the game.

With this win for the Hornets, head coach Jodie Smith earned his 100th career win. His record at Alabama State currently stands at 100-178-11, including three conference championships. He has been with the Hornets since 2006. Alabama State outshot Southern 12-6 in the match, with seven shots on goal for the Hornets and just three for the Jaguars. Jiminez recorded five shots in the afternoon, with three on goal, while seven other Hornets recorded a shot during the match. Junior Sheila Sanchez recorded three saves and recorded her third shutout of the year in the win. 

After the win, Coach Smith commented his thoughts: “I thought we really played hard today and created some nice opportunities; this was a great way to send off our seniors with a win.” He also talked about his 100th win, “I am thrilled to get my 100th win – so proud of the program our players have created over the last 16 years. Now it’s time for us to rest up and get ready for A&M on Friday.”

For the Hornet’s next match, they will take on the Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University in Huntsville at 4 pm.