Hornets fall to Bulldogs in final game of season

Khalil Stewart, Staff Reporter/Writer

The Alabama State University Hornets dropped the final game of the regular season to the Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University Bulldogs on Oct. 29, 2021, at Bulldog Field. 

The Hornets came out aggressive in the first half, shooting six times in the first 30 minutes. Both sides went into halftime scoreless. Jameela Barrett scored the first and only points for the Bulldogs during the 59th minute. The Hornets attempted seven more shots to the Bulldogs, one over the remainder of the match. The Hornets went on to drop their final game of the season.

The Hornets took 17 total shots in the match, with eight of them being on goal, while the Bulldogs shot ten shots with six being on goal. Three Hornets earned at least three shots in the game, led by freshman Katherine Nedved with four, including one on goal. Junior Kristen Thomas and sophomore Grace Norbury both recorded two shots on goal and three total shots on the afternoon. The match included 19 total fouls, which included 12 from the Hornets and seven from the Bulldogs.

Hornets’ head coach Jodie Smith spoke on the loss and said, “This was a tough one today. We played really well but couldn’t find the back of the net despite creating so many opportunities. We’ll take the weekend off and get ready for Houston and the SWAC tournament next week.” 

The  Hornets will travel to Prairie View Agricultural and Mechanical University to start tournament play.