Alabama State sweeps the Bulldogs for the second time this season

File Photo

File Photo

Khalil Stewart, Staff Reporter/Writer

The Alabama State University Hornets dominated the Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University Bulldogs for the second consecutive time this season on Oct. 22, 2021. The Hornets completed this in a fierce fashion with a sweep.

The Bulldogs got off to a 4-0 start in the opening set. The Hornets clawed their way back into the match to take an 8-6 lead. The strong comeback from the Hornets forced a Bulldog timeout. After the timeout, the Hornets continued their momentum, which led to them taking an 11-6 lead. Their lead then extended to double digits 20-10, which caused the Bulldogs to use another timeout. Once again, the Hornets continued their momentum and took the set 25-10.

The second set consisted of the Hornets jumping out to a 5-0 lead, and the Bulldogs closed the gap to a one-point deficit. With the score at 10-7, the Hornets began to pull away, going on a 7-3 run, forcing the first timeout of the set from the Bulldogs. After the break, the Hornets took a 21-11 lead, and they went on to take the final set 25-12.

The third set was the most competitive. The two teams traded the first six scores. With the score 3-3, the Hornets scored 11 unanswered to take control of the match. After this surge of momentum, they never trailed again and went on to complete the sweep. 

The Hornets’ stat leader for this game was sophomore Jada Rhodes with 11 kills, an ace and a dig on the day. Junior Mahogany Vinson also added eight kills and three blocks with a perfect attack percentage. Junior Kalysia Bates added seven kills, four blocks and nine total points, followed by junior Amaya Finley, who earned six kills and nine digs on the afternoon.

The Hornets’ next match will be Saturday in Grambling, Louisiana, for the Southwestern Athletic Conference roundup. They will face Arkansas-Pine Bluff on Saturday, Oct. 30 at 5 p.m. with Texas Southern and Grambling on Oct. 31 at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.