Students enjoyed renewed rivalry with Tuskegee

PHOTO BY EPHREM TILAHUN/STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER

ASU Stadium filled with excited fans for the Turkey-Day Classic game.

Camille Zanders, Staff Reporter/Writer

On Thanksgiving Day, Alabama State University celebrated its 97th annual Turkey Day Classic. The festivity-filled week held a number of events, such as Black and Gold Day, the Alumni Brunch, TDC Music Fest, and the Annual TDC Parade. The celebration was brought to a joyous end with the football game, where the Hornets proved victorious, leaving the score 43-9. Though many students were not present due to the holiday season, those who attended raved over the Hornet experience. 

“It was nostalgic considering the last match-up took place while I was 12,” said Chastity Glover, a graduating senior majoring in English. “Thus, seeing the game return to its original state before I graduate from the university filled me with pleasant memories.”

Considering the semester nears its end and the holidays approaching, many currently enrolled students returned to their homes only days prior to the TDC. As SGA anticipated the lack of student buzz, minimal incentives were offered to the student population in preparation for the TDC. This unfortunately not only caused a lackluster atmosphere within the campus, but also disappointment from students who had still planned to attend the football game.

“Dr. Ross’ administration did an excellent job advertising the game to the community, as the alumni, evidently, understood its impact,” Glover said. “However, SGA left a lot to be desired. Other than the Pregame Block Party email sent by the SGA secretary, very little advertisement existed, which was very disappointing.”

Of the students in attendance, there were many motivating factors that encouraged their involvement. Many students participated as a form of community service to the University. As finals approached, it was common for students to be offered extra credit in select classes by working in the football game’s concession stand, valet services, stadium usher, and much more. 

Markel Oliver, a sophomore studying business management, shares that even though she attended the game as a worker, it would have been nice to experience it just as a student supporter.

“My main reason for going to the Turkey Day Classic was to get extra credit in my macroeconomics class and just stay and enjoy,” she said. “It was a good experience, something I had never done before.”

This belief is shared by Angel Huff, a senior pursuing a degree in biology pre-health, who participated as a member of the football team’s student media. 

“It was actually a good game. It was better than what I thought it would be,” she said. “I was over the radio and news, so I would say the game was a success!”

There were also a select few of students who attended the game purely out of sentimental reasons. Since Turkey Day Classic is considered such a vital event in Hornet culture, and the pandemic had previously forced the public into solitude, some students highly anticipated the event. 

“It was my last semester as an undergraduate, and this was my first Turkey Day Classic, so of course I wanted to experience it,” said Amber Summerville, a fall 2021 graduate who received a degree in communications with a concentration in radio and television. “It met the hype! I am glad that the rivalry was brought back.”

Of the students who regarded the event with sentimental value, many understand that the Turkey Day Classic ultimately gives the alumni and students the opportunity to gather together and fellowship. Especially holding this belief is Amir Kelly, a junior studying music education and music performance, who also is a member of the Mighty Marching Hornets.

“Although HBCUs are known for their homecomings, Turkey Day Classic is like a sequel to our homecoming,” he said. “It gives the alumni an opportunity to fellowship with their former classmates and allows students the opportunity to network with the alumni in hopes for a brighter future.”