Fashion trends for the winter

Tammia Jacobs, Hornet Living Editor

As the cold weather continues, students are styling and profiling in the latest winter trends. 2022 winter fashion is all about uplifting, mood boosting, statement-making colors, bold prints and heavy fabrics. In addition, the vintage-inspired looks of fall continue to reign supreme, as well as cozy jackets and throwing all caution to the wind. 

Throw out the nudes and dull colors for this year’s winter trends and instead opt for that dazzling, sequin dress or boldly-colored heels. The men will be extremely dapper as they stay warm in trendy cable knit sweaters, thick wool cardigans, and sleek puffer coats. 

These winter trends are so simple to work into your winter wardrobe. While students are all about wearing cozy loungewear while working from their residence halls, they always know how to “put it on” and express all of the colorful, glamorous styles this winter.

While fall came and went all too quickly, bright colors are sticking around for winter. Recently, Versace debuted some of the best monochromatic looks from bold yellows to bright pinks with towering platform heels and hair and makeup that had a distinguishable retro feel.

Who does not love saving time and money when considering what to wear? Matching sets have been trending all year and they are welcoming the new year with open arms. Ladies are fabulously showing just a little skin in those midriff-bearing knitted sets from fall to leather sets this winter. Head-to-toe knitted material is perfect for extra warmth this winter. Fortunately for men, warmth does not discriminate. Try a thick, wool two piece and style it with a fresh pair of heavy Timberland boots, Vans, or cozy Uggs. 

Here are some style tips from students who love being fashionable during the cold months.

“In the winter, I love reaching for the thick 

fleeces, cardigans, and comfortable sweaters,” said freshman English major Nakiah White. “It’s the season of comfortable loungewear.”

“Winter colors are my absolute favorite because they are vibrant, dramatic and sophisticated,” notes junior public relations major Nia Christopher. “Blue-based cool colors are best accented with white, gold and platinum. I feel like winter is the only season that you can wear pure white or black because they never look muted or powdered.”

Breathe new life into everything you wear this winter, when you accessorize your outfit with ankle boots. Try styling them, with a sleek-print top, black trousers, and a long winter coat. For students who want a more sophisticated look, create a fresh winter outfit you can wear to work or out on the town by layering a long pastel coat over cropped ankle jeans that show off your favorite ankle boots. 

For a unisex option, quilted puffer jackets are a huge fashion trend again this season. Create a cozy, warm, stylish outfit for casual days and weekends when you match an essential black puffer coat with your go-to black leggings. Wear it with walk-all-day loafers or keep it sporty in black sneakers.

“When in doubt, some black leggings and a cute striped sweater have never done me wrong,” notes sophomore psychology major Olivia Carter. “Having a stylish, thick fleece jacket is a must. It saves time by having something quick and stylish that can go with a lot of outfits.”

When the temperature drops, it can be challenging to pull together outfits that look fashionable without freezing. Despite the chilly conditions outside, you can still have fun with fashion and look great every day.