Now that Turkey Day Classic and Homecoming are no longer synonymous …

Now that Turkey Day  Classic and Homecoming are no longer synonymous ...

Staff Editorial

What will happen to the Turkey Day Classic?
For those who are not aware, before the university decided to move all homecoming events and activities to the first week of October, Alabama State University’s homecoming was celebrated during the Turkey Day Classic.
For years, the opponent remained the same – Tuskegee University. In times past, alumni and students brought their fervor and enthusiasm, some traveling up to 1,000 miles to participate in the week’s festivities. However, once we entered the 1990s, the anticipated fervor dissipated as students began to travel home for the holidays and now 30 years later, very few current students attend the Turkey Day Classic.
Homecoming is an opportunity for the student body to celebrate with their friends, and is undoubtedly, a perfect opportunity to network with the school’s alumni. However that cannot happen if a majority of the students are not even on campus.
President Quinton T. Ross, Jr., Ed.D., made a bold decision a year ago to separate the two (Turkey Day Classic and Homecoming) and now students are enjoying their homecoming experience in October. This year is especially unique because the university has selected Jackson State University as its opponent, and Coach Deion Sanders is already talking “the noise,” causing students, fans and alumni to purchase tickets at a more accelerated pace.
However, what greatly concerns this staff is the viability and the survivability of the Turkey Day Classic. This classic is almost 100 years of age and is the oldest black college football classic in the nation. It is something to be proud of and recognized.
Despite the fact that the Turkey Day Classic will still be celebrated, it will not be its common opponent, Tuskegee University. Tuskegee University is a large draw for both Alabama State University and Tuskegee University because of the proximity and the history.
Many former students of both universities grew up in the same community and since both institutions are only 35 minutes a part, there was a lot of sharing and bragging that went on over the years.
However, with the university playing other teams such as the University of Arkansas Pine Bluff or other universities that are farther in distance, we fear that the Turkey Day Classic may begin to lose it audience.
Looking at the activities that are planned for the Turkey Day Classic, it is apparent that the organizers are catering to an older crowd. A pep rally, a concert with artists who are popular in in 80s, 90s, and 2000s, an alumni brunch and other activities and events. And most notably, there is always the Turkey Day Classic parade. This parade attracts thousands of people from across the state of Alabama.
As an editorial board, we completely understand the administration’s decision to separate homecoming from the Turkey Day Classic. However, we feel that it is equally important for the university to put things into place that will also sustain the Turkey Day Classic.
A good start would be to ensure that we are playing Tuskegee University for the next 10 years. Second, explain to students how the Turkey Day Classic became into existence and what it has meant to both universities over the years.
Finally, place as much money and effort into the Turkey Day Classic as we place into Homecoming.