Fast food affects health and well being

Chloe Hale is an opinion writer for The Hornet Tribune for the 2023-24 academic year. He is an 18-year-old junior from Stockbridge, Georgia whose major is communications. Her career ambition is to become a communications specialist.

Ever heard of the dreaded “Freshman 15?” These unwanted extra pounds are the result of continuous consumption of fast food or unhealthy dietary choices. Fast food can have a detrimental impact on not only your waistline but also your well-being. Despite its convenience and seemingly “low” prices, it can also affect your mental health, nutrition, finances and academic performance along with its long-term consequences.
Fast food has proven to be a readily available and convenient option for those with busy lifestyles. With the stress of not only school but also extracurricular activities, this can be a life-saver. It is also a great option for on-campus students since they are not permitted to house things such as hotplates, air-fryers or any kind of cooking equipment besides a microwave. For freshmen, this is an even harder struggle seen as though a lot of them do not bring their cars onto campus and are then forced to only eat what is on campus. These options often include food from the cafeteria or fast food from the student center.
This convenience is short-lived though, taking into account the many downsides that fast food may have on a student. One of these downsides is the lack of nutritional value that fast food holds. Oftentimes it is high in calories, sodium, saturated fats and added sugars. These components lead to weight gain and increased risks of obesity, diabetes and/or heart disease. Indulging in too much of this food can lead to poor nutrition and an imbalanced diet.
Eating fast food regularly can also put a dent in a student’s wallet. As college students, we already have enough financial distress due to tuition, unemployment and housing. Although a quick $10 meal might sound better than a $100 grocery bill, it can all add up in the future. For example, if you continuously buy a fast food meal five days a week for three to four weeks, you could possibly be spending up to $200-$300 a month. Meanwhile, a $100 grocery bill could possibly last you the same amount of time, saving you hundreds of dollars.
Poor dietary choices may also have an indirect affect on academic performance as well. A diet high in fast food can lead to decreased energy levels, difficulty concentrating and a lack of essential nutrients needed to function. This can result in lower grades and increased stress. Increased stress levels may also be a characteristic of the diminishing mental health problems that can be related to over consumption of fast food. Poor nutrition can trigger mood swings, irritability and mental health issues such as depression and anxiety.
These factors can induce a long, endless cycle of depression until one can finally step out and make better dietary decisions. College students are already stressing about midterms, finals, deadlines, etc… I, for one, have even recently been frustrated about the lack of food on campus. Confined to choices such as Chick-Fil-A, Subway, Prime Grill and the cafeteria, many students believe that there are just not enough options. At the beginning of the year, the lines to these establishments were so long that you could be waiting an hour or more just to receive your food. But as time passed, the lines have become shorter and shorter due to students just simply being tired of the same options everyday.
To mitigate the negative impact of fast food on college students’ health and well-being, it is important to encourage healthier eating habits and provide access to nutritious options. Universities can offer healthier meal choices on campus, promote nutrition education and support wellness programs. Additionally, students can make more informed choices by seeking out healthier menu options at fast food restaurants, practicing moderation, and cooking their meals when possible.