Official student newspaper of Alabama State University

The Hornet Tribune

The Hornet Tribune

The Hornet Tribune

Evening Out Formal Wear
Heritage Barbershop

Birmingham-Southern College but not Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University?

The Editorial Board highlights issues it thinks are important and responds to news events, mindful of stands it has taken in previous editorials. Articles in the news pages sometimes prompt ideas for editorials, but every editorial is based on original reporting.

It is simply amazing to see how hypocritical the state of Alabama can be when it comes to race.
During the month of September, two federal agencies asked Gov. Kay Ivey to address a “severe financial gap” between the state’s historically Black and predominantly white land-grant universities.
The Second Morrill Act of 1890 required that states choosing to open a second land-grant institution to serve Black students, provide an equitable distribution of funds between their 1862 and 1890 land-grant institutions.
It appears that the state of Alabama has underfunded Alabama A&M University by more than half a billion dollars, as states are supposed to provide equal funding to public land-grant institutions (Auburn University, Tuskegee University and Alabama A & M University).
Unfortunately, Alabama A & M University has been shortchanged by $527,000,000.
Not one senator for the state of Alabama introduced a bill to remedy this funding problem that has existed for years at Alabama A & M University, but a bill has already been introduced in the Alabama State Senate, Senate Bill 31 to get $30 million of taxpayer money to Birmingham-Southern by stripping away any loan review from the State Treasurer, giving it to the bank that is already on the hook for millions loaned to the college.
Now according to the State Treasurer Young Boozer, Birmingham-Southern College established a dismal financial track record by:

Miscalculating millions of dollars in Pell Grant awards.
Depleting its endowment fund which had been $130 million in 2000.
Downgrading of its bonds to the worst risk status by Moody’s Investor Service.
Management instability with eight presidents of the college over the last 20 years.
Creating serious doubt about its future by declaring in December 2022 that it would close.
Declining enrollment of 1,268 students in 2018 to only 721 in 2023, a decrease of 43%.
Despite Birmingham-Southern College’s mismanagement, some members of the state legislature are willing to lend the college $30,000,000 of taxpayer’s money, while offering a state supported institution that has been discriminated for years nothing.
Despite its limited funding, Alabama A & M University has tried to manage the funds that they do receive according to state regulations and accepted accounting principles.
On the other hand, Birmingham-Southern College was placed on “Warning” by its accrediting body, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) citing the college’s failure to comply with governing board characteristics, financial resources, financial documents and financial responsibility.
This editorial board finds it interesting that some lawmakers are ready to come to the aid of Birmingham-Southern College, but not lift a finger to remedy the funding discrimination to Alabama A & M.