Who determines who is too old for leadership?

Justin B. Freeman

The average retirement age in the United States is 64. From teaching to nursing, the early to late 60s is the expected age where one stops working and begins settling down to relax.
However, there is one occupation where there seems to be no age limit or even an age where one is expected to throw in the towel. That occupation is politics. Often, politicians will not retire and work until they pass away at very old ages, but we should ask ourselves if this is right.
It is widely known that in order for someone to run for president, they have to be at least 35 years old. This ensures that they have the maximum chance to gain experience in politics and possibly enough influence to actually be seen as a viable option if they choose to run.
This age limitation is understandable, but there should be an age limit to how long someone can be in politics. If the youngest someone can be president is 35, then someone over the age of 70 should not be seen as fitting to run. I chose 70, personally, because it is double the age limit. I think that this is something that should apply to all people holding political positions, not just anyone running for president.
If the average age of someone retiring from their job and settling down ranges from 61 to 67, then why should we allow someone in a position as important as a politician to hold that position well into their 80s? I am not trying to be ageist and imply that they are not as smart or capable as someone younger, but there is a difference in what they can handle.
Their bodies and minds are breaking down, and this is not their fault, it is nature. I respect their vigor and service, but I would honestly prefer someone a tad bit younger to be overseeing and overlooking the laws that dictate my existence. Younger politicians also mean that they are potentially more open-minded and less stubborn, so they could come to decisions with a more diplomatic touch with less bias. There are many politicians who are trying to pass bills and laws to keep the status quo or even reverse progress that has been made, which is not what we need.
When Donald Trump ran against Joe Biden in the 2020 election, he brought a lot of attention to Joe’s age. He tried to discredit Joe as not being capable enough to be president due to his age, but this was not a very successful winning strategy. Mainly because people could see Trump was not drawing attention to Biden’s age for the right reasons. He was calling Biden old, but acknowledging that Trump was only four years younger than him, made it feel like a pot calling the kettle black. Trump would definitely not look in a mirror and say that he was too old to lead a country.
To be perfectly honest, I do not understand why anyone over 70 would want to run for president. It seems like such a stressful job that is more for the young, hungry and idealistic. I am not trying to imply that ideals die as one ages, but I cannot help but be a little suspicious when an older person runs for president at an age where they should be preparing to retire. It feels less sincere and more like something they are attempting to mark off their bucket list.
Joe Biden is not the least competent president of all time, and I do not think that any incompetence has anything serious to do with his age. I used him as an example because when it comes to discussions of elderly politicians in high positions of power, he is usually the one dragged through the mud the most. Almost daily, many articles are published questioning his health, which I imagine cannot be easy for anyone trying to run a country.
However, if there is no limit for how old someone can be in politics, then perhaps there should be something similar for how young someone can get into politics? If someone can be president at 81, why could someone not run at 21? Why should the youth support and advocate for people born decades before them who struggle to empathize with them, and most likely will not even live long enough to see or enforce the laws they are trying to pass to control them?