Harrison urges students to develop a strategic plan

Dana Hollenquest
Andre’ Harrison, vice president of Accreditation Services at Cognia, served as the keynote speaker for the University College Honors Day Convocation.

Alabama State University hosted its annual University College Honors Day Convocation on Thursday, March 7, 2024, at 11 a.m. in the Ralph Abernathy Auditorium. The event, themed “Newcomers of the Nest: Emerging into Excellence,” celebrated the academic achievements of freshman students who have demonstrated exceptional dedication to their studies.
The University College Honors Day Convocation serves as a platform to recognize freshman students who have maintained a grade point average of 3.5 or higher. Among the distinguished honorees, over 200 freshman students were commended, with an impressive 59 students achieving a 4.0 grade point average.
During the ceremony, each honoree was presented with a certificate of recognition for their outstanding academic performance. Additionally, students who excelled with a grade point average of 3.7 or higher were honored with a pin, symbolizing their commitment to academic excellence.
The University College plays a pivotal role in guiding new students toward success in their academic journey. By providing essential support services and facilitating the transition from high school to college life, the University College ensures that students are well-equipped to navigate the challenges of higher education and achieve their academic goals.
Andre Harrison, Ed.D., vice president of Accreditation Services at Cognia, delivered an inspiring message during the Convocation, leaving the freshman students with words of encouragement and a strategic plan for success. Addressing the gathered students, Harrison remarked, “Our forefathers would be proud and very honored of you all… You are all going to represent Alabama State University well… Create steam wherever you go! And if you’re honors now, pursue to graduate with honors! There are 3 C’s that’ll help you all do that. Be committed, competent, and confident.”
The Convocation not only celebrated the academic achievements of freshman students but also served as a reminder of the university’s commitment to fostering a culture of excellence and providing unwavering support to all its students.