Accept and adapt: How sports prepared SGA president to lead in 2020

Before last year, 22-year-old Alabama State University senior David Hammond had never run for student government.

“That wasn’t my speed,” said Hammond. He was used to running plays.

As an offensive lineman at Central High School in Phenix City, Hammond’s focus didn’t stray too far from the football field. That changed after time spent at ASU.

In late April, students elected Hammond as their government association president after a successful term as the body’s secretary. He credits much of what he’s learned about leadership from lessons on the sports field.

“Football taught me discipline. Football taught me I had to be accepting of everyone’s emotions and feelings. It also taught me everything is not gonna go your way. Everything is not going to be how you planned. But when it doesn’t go your way how are you going to adapt to it?” Hammond said.

This final point is one he’s sought to embrace this year, as COVID-19 has redefined the meaning of a typical “college experience.” 

With no Labor Day Classic, the longstanding and highly anticipated matchup between ASU and Tuskegee University, and large in-person gatherings discouraged, Hammond and SGA have been challenged to find new ways to engage students. While the effects of the pandemic have made his role as their chief advocate even more important.

“The biggest thing right now is technology. Usually students would be in class and you’d have some students on campus doing work. Now you have the whole entire campus on your WiFi,” said Hammond.

ASU’s Office of Technology Services is currently working to enhance the speed, he said.

“My vision is to mold future leaders. To get the stigma of ‘Oh, you have to be known on campus’ or ‘you have to be this, this and this’ to run for SGA president — to where they can see, ‘Oh, I can do this,’” said Hammond.

That’s likely because it’s the path he followed. Hammond credits a student mentor, a former junior who served as SGA secretary, for motivating him to think critically about how the leadership he learned on the field could be used to serve students. When they met, he was a freshman. She encouraged him to join the organization.

“A lot of people say they want to run for SGA president, but for him to actually ask me — ‘Tiffany I want you to guide me through everything you think I should know.’ He was so passionate. He loves ASU like he built the school,” said alumni Tiffany Allen.

Now, Hammond wants to be that guide for students navigating their way through higher education. The graduating senior plans to seek a master’s degree in student affairs, and eventually a doctorate in urban higher education.

“This gave me my passion. SGA gave me my why. I would really wake up every morning to come and do this and wouldn’t be mad that I had to,” he said.