Official student newspaper of Alabama State University

The Hornet Tribune

The Hornet Tribune

The Hornet Tribune

Evening Out Formal Wear
Heritage Barbershop

High school students make ‘connections’ on Connection Day

Dana Hollenquest
Former Miss Alabama State University Deanna Poe assists several prospective students from the Birmingham, Alabama area who are thinking about attending Alabama State University in the fall.

Alabama State University hosted its annual “open house” for transfer students as well as high school juniors and seniors on Saturday, March 9.
Better known as “Connection Day,” the university’s football stadium contained hundreds of high school students sitting at attention at 9 a.m. as university administrators welcomed them to campus.
Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management /dmissions and Recruitment Freddie Williams Jr., Ed.D., reflected on the event, calling it “fantastic.”
“Connection Day was created so we could showcase our campus to prospective students and their families so they could see, first hand, what the university offers,” he said. “It gives students the opportunity to see the campus and talk to people in various academic areas. It also allows them to get information about financial aid and scholarships. It was a great event because we accomplished all of those things.”
Students who attended explored academic programs, learned about financial aid, toured the campus, and received free tickets to the Alabama State University vs. Grambling State University basketball game.
Upon entrance into the stadium, students signed in and walked around the stadium to the various academic and organization tables set up in the corridor. The students were split up into several groups and each group had a separate, but equal agenda.
University President Quinton T. Ross, Ed.D., greeted the students faculty, parents, staff and alumni and explained his history at the university.
“I got all my degrees at the university because I did not think anyone else could do it better,” Ross said. “I started in George N. Card Hall as a freshman in room 125 as a Student Government Association senator and went on to become one of the seven African American state senators to serve the state of Alabama. I was the president of the student body and now I am the 15th president of this university. I tell people all the time being president is not a job for me, it is a way of life.”
He continued.
“I hope that you browse and talk to the students and embrace everything the university has to offer you, and I hope to see you in the Fall or sometime soon.”
Vice President of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management Malinda Wilson Swoope, Ph.D., asked all of the students to stand up while introducing Nyla Weatherington, the Student Orientation Services (SOS) Leader president to lead the students into a cheer to get the students engaged. Weatherington introduced the chant and asked the crowd to cheer with her and the rest of the SOS leaders.
Swoope then offered words of encouragement to the students assembled while emphasizing that the university is a place where history is made as well as discussing the university’s excellent cultural diversity and unwavering dedication to student achievement.
“We are a global institution for learning and we provided 60 undergraduate and graduate degree programs ranging from business, social work, music and education and proud to add mechanical engineering.”
She continued.
“We have over 80 student organizations that you can become a members and we also have the “Divine Nine” prepare you for the workforce. We also have a speaker series where we bring well-known speakers to speak to our students. Last but not least we have Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) sports classics such as Magic City Classic, Turkey Day, Classic, and Labor Day Classic.
Swoope asked the students to take advantage of what the university provides, take the time to stop at the tables and ask questions and learn more about the university because it offers a well-rounded education experience.
“We extended the application to join us in the fall because we are looking forward to making you a part of Hornet Nation,” Swoope said.
The Student Government Association (SGA) President Landon Hale spoke on behalf of the students.
“The university is the place where history is made, where you can come in as a shy freshman and come out as a leader in the work field,” Hale said. “Ole mother dear has a lot even scholarships because with no money it is no funny. London also did a giveaway at Connection Day he had the students go to Home Depot retoolyourschool.com and gave money away to the first person who completed it.
Kayla Edwards also introduced herself as the 84th Miss Alabama State University. Edwards said, “It is a privilege to speak to you and I am honored to give you a greeting and represent a University that stands on business a University where history is made where students are empowered and uplifted in every step of their journeys you decide on your journey I encourage you to join Alabama State University the state experience is one like no other.”
She continued.
“I am a living testimony of the greatness of Alabama State University and I hope that you experience this life-changing HBCU where it is always a great time to be a hornet.”
After Connection Day a few students from Decatur High School and one from Beacon Hill Middle School shared their experience from the University Connection Day.
La’Princia Simon is from Decatur High School and enjoyed their experience.
Simon said, “It was a good experience. I enjoyed seeing everything this school had to offer. I would consider going here.”
Another student by the name of Jacaria Hobbs also agreed with Simon.
Jacaria Hobbs said, “This was a nice experience, I could see myself going here.”
Kendrick Simon said, “It was cool and fun I could see myself going here ASU has some nice people.”
Overall, Connection Day is an annual event that continues to give high school students and transfer students an interactive experience while touring the campus and interacting with the students and faculty at the University.