Official student newspaper of Alabama State University

The Hornet Tribune

The Hornet Tribune

The Hornet Tribune

Evening Out Formal Wear
Heritage Barbershop

Alabama State University Crowns New Royalty in 2024 Miss ASU Pageant

The crowning of the 85th Miss Alabama State University, Aarin Carver, marked the pinnacle of excitement at the Dunn-Oliver Acadome on April 11th. The pageant, featuring eleven contestants, showcased a competition for various titles within the university’s royal court for the 2024-2025 school year.

With a total of eleven contestants, each vying for various titles within the pageant, the competition was fierce as contestants showcased their grace, talent, and intellect throughout the evening.

The contest for Miss Sophomore featured Ashleigh Pitts, Paige Scott, Cortagia Stamps, and Jada Whitfield, while Trayonna Hampton, Jaleah Jackson, and Aaliyah Thomas competed for the title of Miss Junior. Faith Blackwell and Nia Cargile competed for the crown of Miss Senior. The coveted title of the 85th Miss Alabama State University was sought after by Aarin Carver and Ferrin Lewis.

Kicking off the pageant festivities, the contestants captivated the audience with a group dance performance before individually introducing themselves. This was followed by the oratorical segment, where each contestant eloquently conveyed their qualities and aspirations for the royal court.

Technical glitches marred Pitts’ oratorical speech, necessitating her to recite her speech once more, demonstrating resilience in the face of adversity. A student in the audience expressed that, “Alabama State is known for mic issues at this point.”

The talent showcase highlighted the diverse skills of the contestants, with performances ranging from dance routines to spoken word poetry, musical renditions, and science showcases. Notable performances included Blackwell’s rendition of Whitney Houston’s “I’m Every Woman,” Cargile’s piano performance, and Lewis’s science showcase coupled with a violin performance.

The evening gown showcase and the question-and-answer session provided the contestants with an opportunity to display elegance and eloquence as they fielded questions on a range of topics, from current events to campus issues. Unlike the other contestants, Carver and Lewis had to answer two questions since they were vying for the title of Miss. ASU.

Amidst the pageantry, the outgoing 84th Miss Alabama State University, Kayla Edwards, gave a heartfelt farewell speech, reflecting on her tenure and expressing gratitude to the ASU community.

As the curtains drew to a close, the results were announced, with Paige Scott crowned as Miss Sophomore, Jaleah Jackson as Miss Junior, and Faith Blackwell as Miss Senior. The crowning moment arrived as Aarin Carver was declared the 85th Miss Alabama State University.