University tornado relief efforts continue

Jazmyn+Waller%2C+Jazmun+McCoy%2C+and+Olivia+McKinstry%2C+members+of+the+Beta+Pi+chapter+of+Alpha+Kappa+Alpha+Sorority%2C+Inc.+demonstrate%2C+first+hand%2C+the+meaning+of+%E2%80%9CThese+Hands+Don%E2%80%99t+Haze%E2%80%9D+during+an+event+that+was+held+during+Hazing+Prevention+Week.+

PHOTO BY LIYAH HOGAN/STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER

Jazmyn Waller, Jazmun McCoy, and Olivia McKinstry, members of the Beta Pi chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. demonstrate, first hand, the meaning of “These Hands Don’t Haze” during an event that was held during Hazing Prevention Week.

Denise Ringo, Staff Reporter/ Writer

On Jan. 12, 2023, a massive storm passed through Selma, Alabama, killing nine people and destroying plenty of homes. This loss left a huge effect on Alabama residents, administrators and students at Alabama State University. The damage provoked them to take action.
On Jan. 27, Vice President of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management Malinda Swoope, state Rep. Penni McClammy and a convoy of local volunteers traveled to Selma University with a handful of student leaders from Alabama State University to provide relief. They brought things that struggling families would needsuch as food, water and toiletries.
Despite the success of this trip, more resources will be needed in the future to aid a city devastated by such unforgiving weather.
“I think that we should continue to contribute our prayers, our love, a listening ear and in addition continue to bring in those goods,” Swoope said. “We still currently have a tornado release drive going on, and you can drop those goods off on the second floor of the Hardy Center in the Student Government Association (SGA) office area. There is a continuous need for supplies, and those supplies include water, blankets, clothes and toiletries. Anything that you think you would need in your own home, the individuals in Selma need it right now.”
During the first trip, only a few student leaders accompanied Swoope and McClammy. For any consecutive trips, there are those wondering if volunteers would be allowed to join.
“It was very unintentional,” Swoope said. “We were working at a very fast pace and at the last minute. It’s usually easier to organize things with those student leader organizations such as the SGA and the Royal Court. But hopefully in the future, there will be other opportunities to open it up student wide for those individuals who do want to go out and do public service for the community of Selma.”
The focus of this trip was Selma, but Swoope wants to inform people that there were three significant areas close to Montgomery hit by the storm. Those areas were within Autauga County, Elmore County and Dallas County.
Swoope believes that the most pressing need of Selma at the moment, is something Alabama State University cannot provide.
“A total rebuild of their homes,” Swoope said. “When I say a total rebuild I mean the structural foundations of their homes are totally gone.”
According to Swoope, President Quinton T. Ross Jr., Ed.D., has always emphasized the importance of ‘CommUniversity’, which is the relationship between a university and its community. Alabama State University is an institution that strives to provide a public service initiative to its community.
“ASU can’t do it all by themselves,” Swoope said. “It takes the community of the Montgomery area, your local surrounding area, and so it’s important for us to go out there and work with the community.”
She continues.
“We worked with Rep. Penni McClammy, we worked with citizens who care and we worked with several other organizations. Most importantly, we worked with other historically Black colleges and universities (HBCUs”.”
When the group arrived at Selma, they arrived in the official university bus but also with an 18-wheeler loaded with goods from Trenholm State Community College..
Selma is still in need and hopefully with the next trip, more students will come, and more goods will be donated to help those families struggling from the aftermath of the brutal storm.