Etheridge enjoys his new position as director of Student Life

“For students who are here – never forget why you came here. You are here to become the version of yourself who will lead a productive adult life, doing that thing that you’ve dreamed about doing.  Fight for it, chase it, and create the life of your dreams.”
Kadyn Taylor Vann
Student Life Director Jason Etheridge takes a minute from his busy schedule to explain his various duties to The Hornet Tribune reporter/writer. Etheridge says, “he would like to see a vibrant and engaging campus that is student driven.”

Student Government Association, Miss Alabama State University and the Royal Court, National Pan-Hellenic Council, student organizations, the university’s game room, and the fitness center are all supervised by the university’s new student life director, Jason Etheridge.  He started his new position in June.

Even though his career as the student life director is just beginning, Etheridge already has long-term goals he wants to see Alabama State University achieve.

“I would like to see a vibrant and engaging campus that is student-driven,” Etheridge said. “I understand that in order to see this come to life, certain foundational policies, practices, and procedures need to be in place and implemented. I am working on creating and implementing those now, but I am thoroughly impressed with how I’ve been received by the students in regard to this work. The students have welcomed me and are open to the policy changes that we are implementing.”

Student Life Director Jason Etheridge takes a moment to sit down and talk with a reporter about his plans for the area of student life (Jahzara Veasy)

According to Etheridge, a good college experience is one that allows for the freedom to explore and grow in a safe and secure environment. He described his own college experience as a great time in the hustle and bustle of the 90s.

“I was on a band scholarship as a member of the Marching Maroon and White Band,” Etheridge said. “I played trumpet my freshman year and served as drum major for the next three years. Being in school in the late 90s was a blast because as champions of hip-hop and children of the civil rights movements we ushered in an unapologetic level of expression that pushed several envelopes. We studied, protested, and kicked it hard.”

He continued.

“My best memories from undergrad are with the band. Traveling to games, playing against other bands, meeting and partnering with other band members, the grind of music rehearsals year-round – it’s a lot of work, fun, and satisfaction that has helped me be who I am today. I give a ton of credit to who I am as an adult to my time with the band.”

Etheridge obtained his undergraduate degree in business management from Alabama A&M University. He earned a master’s degree in professional school counseling from Cambridge College, and he is still working on a doctorate at East Carolina University in higher education leadership.

He began teaching in higher education in 2018, and according to Etheridge, he immediately knew that higher education was where he would spend the rest of his career.

“My passion is in student engagement, retention, and student success, as it has been my entire career, but in this space, I have more autonomy to maneuver and impact change,” Etheridge said. “Long-term, I would like to remain in the space of my three passion areas in whatever positions I’m blessed to receive along the remainder of my journey.”

Etheridge concluded with this advice to students, both new and graduating.

He continued.

“For graduates – Know that your “learning” does not end here. Your training does not end here, either. You have simply completed chapter two, and now we get to see the full plot of your life unfold. Be courageous as you step out and know that you’ve made history by attending ASU! Congratulations!”

View Comments (1)