The comeback of Y2K fashion

The 20-year cycle is the theory that every 20 years, fashion trends from 20 years prior come back in style. This has been a theory proven time and time again. In most recent events, Y2K has made a major comeback within fashion. People in the 2020s are trying to dress as authentically Y2K as they can, rocking denim, low rise jeans, asymmetrical tops, and more. The 2000s are seen as the most individual time of dressing up, and 2023 seems to be no exception to that rule, either.

In past decades, there was an overarching aesthetic that hit the scene and caught everyone living in those eras by the throat. The 2000s were the first time we saw frequent individuality through fashion that was not looked down upon, but instead admired. Today, we have learned to categorize fashion trends as aesthetics, which is why in this decade, any fashion trend that could have ever existed from the 1900s, is all in fashion at the same time – 70s patterns, 80s leg warmers and fishnets, and anything 90s. Decade fanatics are at the height of their happiness expressing their love for fashion, culture, and clothing.

Brent Pyfrom Jr., a sophomore from Atlanta said, “I like 2000’s clothing, it’s the best thing I’ve ever seen!”

Today’s version of Y2K includes many different variants including spiritual, emo/scene, Gyaru, and so much more. The thought process of showing more skin and being a little less modest is something that never goes away for college students, but embracing Y2K clothes means embracing that thought process, in taste, of course. This means the re-arrival of mini skirts, vests as shirts, and platform sandals. A bold girl may try jeans with a short dress with pink cheetah print.

Nostalgia is the reason why Y2K is so popular. People born in the late 90s to early 2000s would have had their first memory five years after birth. Having seen the late 2000s, but never being able to truly experience it because of their age or lack thereof, they repeated it in their way. They got to see the styles of their parents and other figures, so they wanted to dress in this way, and almost like magic, they brought it back into fashion.

The cafe is having a Y2K/90s mixer on Aug. 30, which is the smartest way to gather student engagement because of the love shared for that time period. People in college turn out, right now for any type of event that features Y2K clothing because of the love for that time. Leg warmers have made a comeback which stems from Gyaru fashion, a Y2K trend that was popular in Japan that came from a trend in America in the 80s. This is an example of the 20-year cycle that was mentioned previously. Today’s version of Y2K, while trying its hardest to be authentic, does not always meet the mark.

New Y2K also has trends inspired by the time period that are entirely new. When looking for authentic Y2K clothing, people typically either go thrifting to find clothes, or shop on Depop and Etsy. Off-brand Juicy tracksuits are less common to see nowadays; however, you do see Baby Phat in common stores like Ross or Walmart. Buying older Y2K brands has become cheaper, however, buying from local businesses has become so much more expensive.

This affects everyday student life at every event all day, every day. Y2K is the mainstream form of fashion in this decade. Even though men are typically stuck with the silhouette of a shirt, jeans or shorts, they have found ways to style this fashionable trend with graphic t-shirts, crochet outfits, or leather fits. In addition, special jeans that have different designs and rips have also become popular.  These are typically paired with new Jordans or Adidas Samba.

Fashion has always been pretty simple for men, simply because most men in the world do not actually care about their clothing. Bringing the 2000s fashions back have brought a whole new perspective of fashion to the female gaze that has given men motivation to dress up.

These trends do not come with old values, people who potentially were not socially acceptable in the 2000s have been able to get their spotlights, especially the LGBTQ community. The 2000s was a time when people who possessed alternative lifestyles had to hide and could not truly express themselves, but now men can freely wear feminine clothing and women can wear masculine clothing loud and proud. Not only do they wear it, they do it in such a polished way. Men are now rocking heels, crop tops, and low-rise jeans while looking amazing in them, and women are wearing baggy jeans with graphic tees and Y2K shades. Reclaiming a time in which the LGBTQ community was not celebrated is truly liberating.

Just like any other form of fashion, accessories can always make the outfit. Y2K shades and a gold or silver chain can go with a jean outfit and white shirt. Gyaru is a style that encourages over-accessorizing, filled with leg warmers, fishnets, hair clips, and anything that may be remotely cute. Bamboo earrings always reflect perfectly on black skin, mixed with a necklace that says the date of your birth is always a cute way to accessorize. Leather leg cuffs would be a good accessory to pair with leather or biker outfits. Y2k accessories based on the aesthetic can either be very maximalist or minimalist.

Popular Y2K shoes for women, right now, are platform sandals. You will see them all over campus! You will also see vintage Jordan’s that have been brought back. Futuristic heels or Doc Martens can be included. Rick Owens and platform Converse are very popular today. The most popular way to wear your hair is in locs, styled with beads and crystals on top. Y2K is the perfect inspiration when seeking to try new things. Be uniquely yourself, and add as many accessories as you want. This includes platforms, heels, or regular shoes. Newsie boy hats, in denim, are always a cute 2000s trend to bring back, just be abstract, enjoy yourself, and live life.