University decides to reopen Simpson Hall to male students

Simpson+Hall+provides+accommodations+to+returning+male+students.+Sitting+atop+one+of+the+campus+knolls%2C+this+4+and+%C2%BD+story+brick+property+was+built+in+1966.+
Justin B. Freeman
Simpson Hall provides accommodations to returning male students. Sitting atop one of the campus knolls, this 4 and ½ story brick property was built in 1966.

During the spring semester of 2023, university administrators made a decision to close the residence hall – Willease S. Simpson.
However, to the surprise of many students, the university made the decision this week to reopen the residence hall to make room for male students, who desired to enroll for the fall semester but did not have housing accommodations.
University administrators made this decision while students were still registering for classes.
Simpson Hall, built in 1966, provides accommodations to returning male students and has one of the largest student community rooms on campus, with wireless connections available for residents. This residence hall is unique in that there is one individual to a room, offering the ultimate in privacy. Located centrally on campus, Simpson Hall provides easy access to the John Garrick Hardy Center, classes, and the library/media center.
Despite the fact that the university decided to close the structure to address some deficiencies, most students who are moving into Simpson Hall are not complaining about the residence hall.
Isaac Harris, a junior majoring in political science, is pleased with his accommodations.
“It is livable,” he said, “and it is not as bad as people would make it seem to be. It’s good.”
Junior Bernard Reese, a political science major, feels that the residence hall is serving its purpose.
“I have no issue,” Reese said. “My room was clean, and my water was hot. Since I am a RA (resident assistant), I get the RA room, and I have no problem because I have my own restroom.”
T’kai Jarret, a junior majoring in rehabilitation services, said, “Simpson Hall is not bad; it’s the aspect of sharing a restroom with other people that seem not to care about cleanliness.”
Brandon Key, a junior music education major, agrees with Jarret.
“It is not bad,” he said. “You have your own room. The bathroom is the only downside. I think the people on the outside are the ones complaining about it.”
However, Xavier Lee, a sophomore majoring in social work, had a number of complaints.
“I personally do not see anything wrong, but the restroom is a community restroom, so it need not be in disrepair,” Lee said. “It has single rooms, which is good, but it is very moldy and dusty due to the air conditioner, and the washing rooms are filthy. The water fountains are broken and they smell terrible.”
Additionally, Lee said that his electrical cords do not stick in his outlets because the outlets are weak.
Terry Thomas, a senior majoring in computer science, is just happy to get on-campus accommodations.
“Simpson is an okay residence hall to stay in,” he said. “It has a few flaws in it, and trash is in the bathrooms from time to time.”