Students pleased with results of mayoral race in Montgomery

Montgomery Mayor Steven Reed won re-election Tuesday evening, August 22, 2023, defeating three opponents for the mayoral spot, according to official election results.

Reed was first elected in a landslide vote in 2019, becoming the capital city’s first Black mayor.  He succeeded Todd Strange, who was mayor for a decade and did not seek re-election.

With 40 of 41 precincts reporting, Reed received 57% of the vote this year,  unofficial results showed.  Reed received 22,830 votes.

“These last four years have been a combination of the most rewarding and the most challenging in my life, but the honor of serving you and working on the behalf of this great city far outweighs any dilemma, any challenge that we have had,” Reed said in a victory speech calling his tenure a “redemptive” experience.

Students who attend Alabama State University expressed mixed feelings regarding the mayoral race.

Aaron McNeil, a sophomore majoring in psychology, believes Reed is good for the job.

“I do not know much about Steven Reed, but from what I have seen, Reed is a family man who puts his son and wife first, which he translates to how he governs.  He has been in charge of several community services that I have worked on, so I think they picked a good mayor,” McNeil said.

Chavon Brown, a senior majoring in business management, said she is not that familiar with Reed but that she does have one request.

“I don’t know much about him,” she said, “but I would like for him to try and do more with connecting to the students in the area as well as trying to fix the roads because they are horrible.”

Senior physical education major James Gibson likes the emphasis that Reed has placed on young people.

“I feel like he is focusing on the youth,” he said. “He invested in the kids’ future when he came to Mountain Heights High School and talked to the kids. Reed also funded the kids’ summer at the high school program for a month.”

Reginald Davis, a junior majoring in visual arts, feels is the best man for the job.

“I believe he is a good mayor, and Steven Reed handles his business and does his job,” he said.  “Steven Reed was the best pick. My line brothers and I helped him put campaign posters for his campaign.”