Official student newspaper of Alabama State University

The Hornet Tribune

The Hornet Tribune

The Hornet Tribune

Evening Out Formal Wear
Heritage Barbershop

Franklin announces lineup for intramural sports for the fall semester

The Hornet Tribune reporter/writer Claudia Gillum takes a moment to interview Coach Fred Franklin about upcoming intramural activities that will be offered during the fall semester.

For the fall 2023 semester, students at Alabama State University can expect a number of recreational activities to be available right here on campus within the university’s Intramural Sports Program.

This program offers the university community an opportunity to participate on various teams and individual activities. Intramural Director Fred Franklin said, “The Intramural Program at Alabama State is an activity program for students to enjoy fun, physical activity.”

Students can expect various sports and activities to be available during different times of the year. Some activities are available year-round, while others are available only during certain months.

Specifically for the fall 2023 semester, students will be able to participate in cardio blast aerobics, open gym time, and flag football. More activities will be available during the spring 2024 semester.

Two of the year-round intramural activities at the university include cardio

blast aerobics and open gym time. Cardio Blast Aerobics is a class available on

Tuesdays and Thursdays at 6 p.m. The class is taught in Lockhart Gym and is an hour-long class that is available to both students and faculty.

Open gym time, however, is available for students who would like to participate in an easygoing team sport. It is essentially pickup basketball every day from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. located in Lockhart Gym. Students are only required to sign in upon arrival and then they are free to enjoy open gym time.

Another intramural activity soon to be available for the fall 2023 semester is flag football. It is a team sport that will last for about two months. Franklin informs students that more details on flag football will be available soon, including when it will begin.

Later in the semester, students can expect the start of 4-on-4 basketball. It will begin in late November and go on through the month of March. Other intramural activities that will be available in the spring 2024 semester include 4-on-4 volleyball and kickball. If students are interested in participating in any of these activities, they can reach out to Franklin via email at [email protected]., or they can call the number (334)-229-4374.

Students are also able to stop by room 202 Lockhart Gymnasium to sign-up or get more information on any of these intramural activities.  After speaking with many students on campus about the intramural activities at the university, there was a mix of reviews on the subject.

Junior Kiertsan Kennedy said, “It’s a good way for students to do something without having so much pressure on them. I think it’s good for them to come together while still having fun.” She adds that she would enjoy a swimming activity or something students could participate in at the Norman Walton Aquatic Center on campus.

“It’s a super fun way to be active,” sophomore Briana Sites said, “but there aren’t too many options here to be able to play intramural team sports.”  Briana, along with a few other students, believes that there should be more team options like baseball and pickleball.

Senior Kristofer Johnson shares that he simply has never been informed about the options that the intramural program at the university has to offer.

“I really just haven’t heard much about the activities,” and “so I think that’s why a lot of people have never looked into them.”

Based on the responses, it can be concluded that the university’s intramural program could spread more information and perhaps add more to the list of activities available for students to enjoy.