Students, faculty believe Biden’s age is no major factor

In a speech from the White House, he explained that the Department of Education would “forgive $10,000 in outstanding federal student loans” and that Pell Grant recipients would “have their debt reduced [by] $20,000.” Only those making less than $125,000 a year would qualify for this relief.

A point of controversy in American politics today centers around the question whether or not President Joseph Robinette Biden is too old to run for the office of the presidency again.
Some Americans have grown to be skeptical of the president’s age due to various reasons, including his health.
Students and faculty in the department of history and political science were asked their opinions on the matter. Every individual expressed that they do not have any worries about the age of the president.
Many students and faculty members believe that President Biden’s experience outweighs any concerns about his age.
Secondly, they all agree that President Biden is not the only world leader who is of significant age, proving that it is not a concern, and that Kamala Harris is the perfect replacement if something happens to President Biden.
D’Linell Finley, Ph.D., professor of political science, believes his experience and age is positive.
“President Biden is a seasoned, thoughtful, skilled leader who had restored the United States as leader of the free world and has restored the credibility of the United States with allies,” he said. “Against very determined opposition, President Biden has advanced an impressive domestic policy agenda. His longevity and experience has served him well.”
Joseph Caver, a historian and adjunct instructor who teaches in the department of history and political science said, “President Biden’s knowledge of our political system is a positive instead of a negative.”
“I have seen nothing that would hinder him from continuing to govern during this chaotic period in our history,” he said. “In fact, his experience is what is needed at this time.”
Alecia Hoffman, another professor in the department of political science believes that Biden‘s experience outweighs his age, and he “has been in politics on the national level since the 1970s.” That is about 53 years of experience that Biden has had in politics.
“If he were to win the presidency in 2024, by the end of his term he will be 86 years of age.”
Hoffman elaborates on the matter by mentioning that “we have to contend with the question of ageism… we look at places like India, Russia, and Turkey; those leaders are up in age and that’s just a testament to show that we are living longer.” People are living longer allowing people to continue to work at older ages.
Not only are these other world leaders older in age but also one of Biden’s biggest opponents in the upcoming election is.
“Biden’s major opponent is only three years younger than him. Why isn’t the same asked of former President Trump? Biden appears more physically and mentally fit than Trump.”
In addition, Finley believes that Biden’s “demonstrated leadership qualities should be respected, rather than questioning his age.”
Another point that leaves little room for concern about Biden’s age is who he has around him.
“Vice President Kamala Harris stands ready to become the first female president, if something happens to President Biden,” Caver said.
Paige Patton, a recent graduate with a bachelor’s degree in political science, adds a point to this.
“We can probably all agree that the age of politicians is getting out of hand. However, as much as I wish that younger people could run for president, I have to admit that President Biden has the experience necessary to run for president and run well,” she said. “I also find comfort knowing that Kamala Harris is working right there with him.”