Athletics Hall of Fame inducts 14 standouts in Class of 2023

JUSTIN B. FREEMAN/MANAGING EDITOR
Relatives of Kevin Loder, a recipient of the Hall of Fame Award, express their appreciation for the university recognizing him.

The Alabama State University Athletics Hall of Fame enshrined 14 former Hornets and Lady Hornets greats as inductees.
The Distinguished Sportsman Award, along with baseball (1), men’s basketball (4), women’s basketball (2), football (4), men’s track and field (2) and women’s track and field (1) were all recognized on Sept. 29.
This year’s inductees are Larry Watkins (baseball), Danny Crenshaw (men’s basketball), Kevin Loder (men’s basketball), James Oliver, Sr. (men’s basketball), Willie Scott (men’s basketball), Freda Freeman-Jackson (women’s basketball), Barbara Williams (women’s basketball), Severne Frazier (football), Frank Lewis (football), Zefross Moss (football), John Jones (men’s track and field), Horace Crump (men’s track and field) and Jennifer Morgan (women’s track and field).
As they introduced the inductees, each of them had videos where they explained how happy they were about being an inductee and how coaching or playing in university athletics changed their lives.
Larry Shaw, a former football linebacker at the university was awarded the Distinguished Sportsman Award at the Hall of Fame. He is from Fayetteville, North Carolina where Shaw served in the North Carolina State House of Representatives from 1994-1997.
Danny Crenshaw, a starter for the university’s male basketball team for four seasons, was selected by the Philadelphia 76ers in Round 4 with a Pick 12 in the 1970 NBA Draft. He accepted his induction.
“I’m honored to be here tonight,” he said. “We had some great years here, and I played with some great players.”
Jennifer Morgan, a part of the first SWAC indoor track team, received the title of SWAC’s Most Valuable Runner in 2003. She was honored in 2003 by the National Association for Girls and Women in Sports as the Nell Jackson winner. She is the only athlete to be a conference champion in four different individual events in the SWAC.
Larry Watkins, an alumnus who played and coached baseball, was the first to appear in the NCAA playoffs for the university as a center fielder in 1974. He coached the Hornet team for over 30 years and held a record for 513 victories and postseason appearances. Watkins was named head coach in 1982, and in 1999, he was named SWAC Coach of the Year and pronounced a SWAC Hall of Fame Inductee in 2018.
Barbara Williams, on the other hand, was the track coach for 25 years and women’s basketball team coach for five seasons. In 1975 she created a plan for athletic opportunities at the university and became the coordinator for women’s athletics. The women’s basketball team had an amazing record of 95-23.
Williams expressed her feelings about being honored in the Hall of Fame.
“I am happy that I am considered part of the pioneers of the women’s program,” she said. “Being part of the athletic program and being in the lives of young women was great. I am honored and thankful for this award that is being bestowed upon me. To be a member of the Hall of Fame is really something that everyone looks forward to in their lifetime.”
Coach James Oliver Sr., a 2002 SWAC Hall of Fame Inductee with a record of 360-209, won consecutive Southwestern Athletic Conference championships. He was represented by his son James Oliver Jr., who remembered his father in his speech.
“My father loved Alabama State with all of his heart, and it is always great to be recognized by your own,” he said. “This honor recognizes his athletic achievements and the athletic achievements of those who worked with him. Most importantly the athletic achievements of those student athletes.”
Horace Crump was also inducted into the Hall of Fame. He coached 31 seasons at the university. This 2009 SWAC Hall of Fame inductee won 14 SWAC championships four each in women’s indoor and outdoor cross country track, as well as one of each in men’s indoor and outdoor track from 2001-2007 as a coach. One of the teams won a conference title each of those years. He also filled the roles of being head coach for tennis and assistant head football coach at the university.
Severne Fraizer an executive secretary of the Alabama Interscholastic Athletic Association, also a SWAC Hall of Fame inductee in 1992 as well as a AHSAA Hall of Fame inductee, served in multiple positions in Alabama schools such as principal, teacher and coach for more than 20 years. His son Al Frazier Jr. accepted the award on his behalf.
“I am very proud and honored to be here tonight to accept this award on behalf of my father Serverne Fraizer Sr., Ed.D.,” he said. “My father began teaching and touching the lives of many ASU students in 1946.”
Freeda Freeman-Jackson who not only played for the Lady Hornets but also coached 26 seasons, was estatic about the new inductees.
“Oh, yes! I am so happy!” she said. “Some of them probably should have already been inducted. I am one of the younger ones, but I am telling you you’re talking about Danny Crenshaw, Coach Watkins and Barbara Williams. I can go on and on. It’s just great to see the athletic director and the university president going back and making sure that they recognize the folks that they feel really did alot for Alabama State University as it relates to sports, academics and the whole nine yards.”
The 2023 Hall of Fame also inducted Zefross Moss, a 1994 SIAC Hall of Fame and 1995 SWAC Hall of Fame inductee. Moss is known as one of the best undrafted free agents in NFL history. He has played a total of 12 seasons in the NFL.
“It is with great honor, pride and humility that I am accepted into the 2023 Hall of Fame Class at Alabama State University,” he said. “I am grateful for this opportunity to forever be a part of ASU history. I want to thank all my coaches and teammates who helped shape my path along the way. For those memories, I will cherish forever.”
There was a great deal of excitement in the ballrooms as the recipients received their award and felt acknowledged for their accomplishments during their athletic careers.
A large number of people came out to support these former athletes and coaches. Some of the inductees were unable to attend, but their siblings or children spoke on their behalf.