Official student newspaper of Alabama State University

The Hornet Tribune

The Hornet Tribune

The Hornet Tribune

Evening Out Formal Wear
Heritage Barbershop

Hornets fall to Jackson State University Tigers

The Alabama State University Hornets men’s basketball team fell to the Jackson State University Tigers 63-73 on Jan. 11, in the Dunn-Oliver Acadome in Montgomery, Alabama.
Tigers’ senior forward Jordan O’Neal and head coach Mo Williams returned to their old stomping grounds to face their former team for the first time.
The Hornets came into the game with a 7-8 record, while the Tigers had a 5-9 record. Hornets’ point guard T.J. Maddlock put on a performance as he scored 20 points, grabbed eight rebounds and had three steals. Isaiah Range had 12 points and reached a major milestone during the contest as he scored his 1,000th career point.
For the Tigers, guard Ken Evans Jr. led the team with 24 points, while O’Neal added 16 points.
Hornets’ guard Micah Octave scores the first points of the game on a two-pointer. The Tigers began to pull away thanks to back-to-back 2-pointers by forward Zeke Cook and a 3-point play by O’Neal.
The Hornets quickly found themselves behind 2-11 but fought back as guard Sean Smith would score two points in the paint and then make one of two free throws. Guard Kendal Parker made a huge 3-pointer to bring the Hornets back within reach. The Tigers led 11-10 with 10 minutes left in the first half.
The Tigers would go on a 16-0 run to increase their lead. The offense was in rhythm and moving the ball around nicely, which was causing the Hornet defense trouble.
Penalties killed whatever momentum the Hornets seemed to gain as they were down 24-38 at halftime.
The Hornets made noticeable adjustments coming out of halftime. Range hit two 3-pointers at the beginning of the second half and helped the Hornets shrink the Tigers lead. O’Neal was fouled but missed both of his free throws as cheers echoed throughout the acadome from the audience in response to the misses.
The score was now 44-42, with the Tigers still holding the lead. Time was running out for the Hornets.
With two minutes left in the game, Tigers’ guard Chase Adams’ two 3-pointers were critical late in the game as they were now up double digits, 45-56. Now with a comfortable lead, the Tigers would sub out their starters for the rest of the game as the Hornets could not overcome the deficit.