Lady Hornets losing streak extends to four

The Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University Bulldogs were victorious against the Alabama State University Lady Hornets, 66-49, on Jan. 15 in the Bridge Builder Classic at the Mitchell Center in Mobile, Alabama. The Lady Hornets dropped their fourth consecutive game.

Guard Victoria Dixon led the Bulldogs in points with 16, followed by guard Amiah Simmons with 15 points, five rebounds and two steals. Forward Alisha Wilson posted her third double-double of the season after scoring 11 points and grabbing 11 rebounds.

Hornets’ forward Cordasia Harris was a force to be reckoned with on offense and defense, with 12 points, five rebounds, three steals and three blocks.

The Hornets went on a 5-0 run to kick things off. After a sluggish start by the Bulldogs, their offense began rolling. They went on a dominating 17-2 run, which was capped off by a two-pointer from Dixon.

The Bulldogs grabbed a 17-7 lead with 3:30 left in the first quarter. Harris hit a two-point shot to narrow the lead to 17-11 to end the first quarter.

Neither team gained an advantage in the second quarter, as both teams only scored six points. The Bulldogs went into halftime with a 23-17 lead.

The Hornets started the second half on a 7-0 run. A layup by guard Ashley Gray  gave the Hornets the lead back, 26-26, in the third quarter.

The Bulldogs responded with an 11-3 run of their own. The Hornets would go the next seven minutes without scoring a basket as the Bulldogs continued to hold onto their lead until the final buzzer.