Official student newspaper of Alabama State University

The Hornet Tribune

The Hornet Tribune

The Hornet Tribune

Evening Out Formal Wear
Heritage Barbershop

Ramsey family awards COBA students scholarships

Justin B. Freeman
During the Balance Sheet Bash, students in the College of Business were awarded scholarships. Pictured above is JaKarius Hill who received $1,000 to assist him with his educational needs.

About 50 Alabama State University College of Business students assembled on the second floor of the Alabama Society of Certified Public Accountants (ASCPA) building to listen to several certified public accountants, for an event titled, “The Balance Sheet Bash” created by Caroline Hale, director, on Jan. 18.
The event, according to Jeannine K. Brown, founder and CEO of Everyday LEAD, was created to recruit and influence young African Americans to become accountants since there are only 4% of African American accountants in the U.S.
“We organized this event due to the shortage of diverse accountants across America,” Brown said.
Brown understands the importance of students being exposed to the profession while in college.
“It is so important for me that Alabama State students in the college of business are involved in this program because I know what I needed when I was a student, and this was not available. So, I understand what career readiness and exposure will mean to these students, and being able to come off campus and have this as an opportunity to meet new people, network with both alums and the firms is going to change how they see the possibilities and opportunities before them,” Brown said. “ASU College of Business prepared me and helped me get to where I am now no doubt.”
“I think my calling is to help you be better because I didn’t have NABA (National Association of Black Accountants) when I was younger, so if I can help you get an internship sooner or scholarship to help you be greater than your peers not in NABA, I have done my job,” Crystal D. Martin, Southern region president for NABA.
“As for experience, I think it is vital. When I graduated college, we did not have programs like this to prepare us for next steps or even know how to carry ourselves at the next level. My generation was thrown in, and we learned as we went, and now, in today’s world, you guys are able to come into an environment and be given some type of guidance as to manage and network yourself in a new space,” Sharanda Reeves, director of development and program at NASBA (National Association of State Boards of Accountancy), Center for the Public Trust.
“Before walking in a different environment, you have to know yourself, you have to know the type of person you are and how well you work with things and people. That way when you do go in your work environment, you won’t have to change yourself but adjust to the environment you’re working with,” Troy University’s Education & Outreach Corporate Trainer Joel S. Hughes said.
“Develop and know your personal brand, know how to present yourself and adjust yourself in various environments. Stay ready for any and everything,” said Okorie Ramsey, vice president of ASCPA.
“‘The Balance Sheet Bash’ was a really great experience, as I got to meet professionals, and it was really eventful for me. I got to learn about different views of accounting and to get to see people like myself. I got to win a $1000 scholarship, which I am really happy about because it gives me the perspective on advancing my education. I’m hoping this brings more opportunities for people like us at HBCUs, and I hope we can change the tide of the accounting industry,” Claire Mba-Madubuike, a freshman accounting major, said.
“After this, I felt really inspired to continue to work hard and really find what I want to do in accounting. At first, I was a little unsure, but after talking with the panel and connecting with other people when they are already in their careers, it just gives you more insight on what you want to do,” D’asia Stevens, a junior accounting major, said.
“I feel great, but it is more than just feelings, it is an opportunity for them to get exposure to real world situations. I think they could use the motivational speakers and the messages that were given along with leadership training. They need to know more than just classroom accounting, but I want them to know beyond balance sheets and actually experience real world situations to get them ready for gainful employment. When they walk across that stage from the university, I want them to be employed,” Jorja Bradford, assistant professor of accountancy at the university, said.