University to open a new precinct in the John Garrick Hardy Center

Dana Hollenquest
Brian Aldridge, deputy chief of police at the university confirms that a new precint will be placed in the Hardy Center.

The Alabama State University Department of Public Safety is opening a new police precinct in the John Garrick Hardy Center. “The new precinct will be located on the first floor of the Hardy Center, next to the Information Desk,” said Brian Aldridge, deputy chief of police. He shared that the new precinct will be opening in February.
Aldridge believes that having the precinct in the Hardy Center is beneficial for both the students and the public safety department.
“Establishing a police precinct within the Hardy Center demonstrates a strategic initiative by the university and ASU’s Department of Public Safety,” he said. “This move not only enhances on-campus safety but also facilitates a faster response to critical and non-emergency situations. Moreover, the presence of the precinct encourages proactive engagement between the university community and law enforcement, fostering a sense of collaboration and support.”
When it comes to the purpose and the advantages of the precinct being placed in the Hardy Center, Aldridge said, “The police precinct in the Hardy Center will serve as the hub for the Patrol Officers Division, the Investigating Unit and the Communications Division, including our dispatchers. This centralized setup ensures efficient coordination and a streamlined approach to campus safety and security. The precinct’s unwavering accessibility, operating 24/7 through three shifts and supervised diligently, underscores a steadfast commitment to providing uninterrupted and vigilant campus security for the welfare of students, faculty and staff.”
Aldridge shared the things that will be handled in the precinct and what things will be handled at the main station on Carter Hill Road.
“The substation in the Hardy Center will address various matters, excluding sensitive cases like sexual assaults and domestic violence, respecting privacy concerns,” he said. “These specific cases will be handled discreetly at the main precinct located at 1452 Carter Hill Road. This approach ensures a secure and confidential environment for addressing such sensitive issues.”
Aldridge said that the game room in the Hardy Center will not remain open any later. “The game room will not stay open later due to the police substation. It will close at regular hours. The Hardy Center will be open from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. until further notice.
On the bright side, Aldridge said, “Upon the precinct’s opening, students can conveniently obtain their parking passes directly from this location, streamlining the process and enhancing accessibility for the university community.”
Some students are ambivalent about a police precinct being placed in the Hardy Center. Sophomore Shaleyia Woodard, an early childhood education major, is one of those students who is conflicted about a precinct opening in the John Garrick Hardy Center.
“I understand why they are opening a police precinct, but I think it is going to make some students feel apprehensive,” she said.
T’Kai Jarret, a junior majoring in rehabilitation services, agrees with Woodard.
“I feel like it brings both pros and cons,” Jarret said. “It is good because there is going to be a faster response time for violence. It is bad because students are going to feel uncomfortable because they feel as though the police are right up under them.”
Aaron McNeil, a sophomore majoring in sociology, feels that the precinct is a smart move but restricting for the students.
“I think it will be smart, in terms of reaction time, if the police precinct was closer,” McNeil said. “The fact that the precinct would be in the union makes the response time faster. The cons will be police officers being strict because they are here in the Hardy Center. I can see that as a major problem.”
He continued.
“I know the union being open late at night would not be a nonfactor because they are going to be right back in the union checking on us. I do not think it is good for students who just go in and out of the union late at night, but for those people who treat the union facilities properly, it is a hindrance.”
Chandler Brown, a junior majoring in sociology and minoring in chemistry, believes the precinct is a great idea.
“I think it is good because a lot of people say they want to see a better police presence, and there are many issues that need to be fixed. They need to recreate a good dynamic.”
Sophomore dance major Micaela Smith-Waller believes having a precinct is beneficial to the students as well.
“I feel like it would be better to have the police precinct in the JGH center,” Walker said. “It will be closer for all students to get to them, if need be, instead of going off campus to get them or calling because not every student knows their number. Even students who have been at ASU all four years do not know the number, and if there’s an emergency and finding or typing in the number may take too long, you can just go straight to the Hardy Center. It’s also a central location for all students, no matter where they are on campus.”