Official student newspaper of Alabama State University

The Hornet Tribune

The Hornet Tribune

The Hornet Tribune

Evening Out Formal Wear
Heritage Barbershop

HIGHER EDUCATION RALLY

Hundreds of students show up in front of the Alabama State House to rally for more funds for higher education
David Campbell
SGA presidents from the various colleges and universities in Alabama stand along with their respective mascots during Higher Education Day activities.

University buses from across the state arrived in Montgomery on Thursday, Feb. 22 as more than 1,000 college students and representatives from the state’s 14 public universities rallied at the Alabama State House for the annual Higher Education Day.
“Alabama’s universities shape the state’s economy and must be supported,” said Gordon Stone, executive director of the Higher Education Partnership. “Our more than 180,000 students are valuable to the state’s thriving economy.”
Stone said those 180,000 students are not enough to meet the projected demand for jobs requiring a bachelor’s degree, highlighting Alabama’s significant potential for growth.
According to statistics provided by the Higher Education Partnership, for every $1 the state invests in higher education, more than $12.50 is returned to Alabama taxpayers.
Earlier this month, Gov. Kay Ivey introduced a $9.35 billion education budget for fiscal 2025, which is a 6.25% increase from the previous year’s $8.8 billion budget. About 25.6% of that would be directed to higher education.
Students showed enthusiasm at the event, representing their schools with school colors and chants. Many students and university leaders took the opportunity to engage with legislators, sharing their college experience and voicing support for higher education.
Senate President Pro Tem Greg Reed, R-Jasper, showed his support for students.
“You are our future,” he said. “We want to do everything we can to support the universities and you individuals.”
Senate education budget committee chairman Sen. Arthur Orr, R-Decatur, challenged students to stay in Alabama after graduation.
“We want you and we need you,” Orr said.
Speaker of the House Nathaniel Ledbetter, R-Rainsville, offered two pieces of advice for success after college.
“First, be kind. Second, work your butt off,” he said. College is a near-universal experience for the youth of the world. It is a chance to learn more about the careers one wants to pursue, as well as creating connections that might last them a lifetime. To ensure that these institutions receive the proper funding to operate, an annual advocacy event titled Higher Education Day is held in downtown Montgomery. College students from across the state of Alabama convene for a parade and lunch.
“It is an opportunity for us to talk about the great assets that we have at our states’ 14 public universities,” said Gordon Stone, Pike Road mayor and the executive director of the Higher Education Partnership. Stone also spoke in front of the Alabama State Capitol to a large and enthusiastic crowd.
“All across the state of Alabama, we have students here representing those 14 public universities, and they’re here to remind our elected officials of the role they play in the future of our state,” Stone said. “The knowledge-based economy, the chance to grow jobs that will bring greater and greater revenue and more and more opportunities for all citizens.”
Alabama State University faculty members attended the event to represent and advocate for their school.
“I think it’s a wonderful opportunity for Alabama State University to be represented here today at Higher Education Day with the other universities throughout the state of Alabama,” said Vice President of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management Malinda Swoope.
According to Administrative Assistant for Student Affairs and advisor of the university’s Golden Ambassadors Jackie Powell, she believes that education is key.
“A lot of prospective students may want to come but don’t know how to get here,” Powell said. “An HBCU is like a family atmosphere, and we are here to nurture students until they graduate.”
Along with these prominent faculty members, a selected handful of student leadership traveled to the event via a bus.
“I do feel like this is a great event for all university students to be able to come out and be able to advocate on behalf of their universities to the people that actually are making the decisions on behalf of us,” said Student Government Association (SGA) President Landon Hale. “We send these people a lot of emails and stuff, but they don’t really get to see the expression until we’re actually out here in their face to actually be able to see that.”
Hale was not the only SGA president at the event. Jack Hilton, the incoming SGA president of Auburn University, was also at the event with a group of students from his university.
“I feel amazing,” Hilton said. “It’s kind of a full circle moment for me. Auburn is just a place that I’ve loved from day one, and getting to represent Auburn at this event has really meant a lot to me.”
According to Isabella Campos of the University of Alabama at Birmingham, showing up to Higher Education Day establishes the students as ready and willing to stand up for themselves.
“I think that coming out and putting in the effort really shows the legislators that we’re serious about what we’re asking for,” Campos said. “And I hope that they continue to take us seriously.”
Brandon Williamson of the University of West Alabama was more critical of the legislators at the event.
“Ultimately, I think this is a good step, but I think there needs to be more as far as legislation coming to more schools and also hearing the students’ opinion,” Williamson said. “You can talk to faculty and staff all day long, but what really matters is the students because the students are the ones who are striving to get the degree.”
Junior accounting major and Golden Ambassador Isaiah Brunson was happy to have the opportunity to represent and be a part of the event.
“From my knowledge, this has been a consecutive thing. Not just today,” Brunson said. “This year, last year and a couple of years. Since I’ll be a senior next year, I hope to have an impact knowing that what we do now, hopefully, can help change the narrative of the state of Alabama.”
Kameelah Freeman, junior criminal justice major and the chief of staff of the SGA, was excited to participate because last year she was in the Student Senate, and therefore was knowledgeable about how government procedure works.
“It was just really cool to see what happens,” Freeman said. “What their effect is and what we get to do, and vice versa. I think, if anything, this event will show legislators and government officials that they have the opportunity to invest in us and our schools.”
It was junior biology pre-health major Jayna Patterson’s first time at the event. According to Patterson, her experience was positive.
“This event will showcase legislators that they can give us more funds, hopefully, to increase the success of our programs and get our programs to a higher standard than where they are now,” Patterson said.
For senior communications major and Sen. of Academic Affairs DaVonte Watson, it is his first time attending as a member of the SGA, but in the past, he attended as a member of the Mighty Marching Hornets.
“I think that this event brings awareness to the education field in Alabama,” Watson said. “I think it sheds light on some of the struggles that we have as students, as well as in universities and the education system, so I’m pretty much sure that it’s a positive impact.”