Crowder sheds light on the decision to close the Hardy Center early

PHOTO BY JAELYN STANSBURY/MANAGING EDITOR
Sabrina Crowder, D.M., was recently named the assistant vice president for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management. focus on student development and engagement areas within the campus.

Students who attend Alabama State University were not happy to learn on Jan. 31 that a decision was made by university administrators to close the John Garrick Hardy Center at 6 p.m. No student activities, student organizations, and student programs will be held after 6 p.m.
Due to a vandalism incident that occurred the previous week, administrators made the decision to allow the three restaurants in Hardy Center to remain open until 9 p.m., however, the remaining parts of the center are only open from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Despite student displeasure with the mandate and the reduced hours, Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs Sabrina Crowder, D.M. offered a more extensive explanation for the university’s decision, as well as what the university will be doing while this mandate is in effect.
“The reduced hours of the John Garrick Hardy Center will remain in effect until the university implements the necessary measures to ensure the safety of all its users,” Crowder said. “The center will resume its regular operating hours once these safety measures are adequately implemented. The university is committed to prioritizing its community members’ well-being and working diligently to make the required adjustments as swiftly as possible.”
Despite Crowder’s emphasis on safety, some students felt as though the university did not think about all students when the decision was made and that the matter could have been handled differently.
Senior Aviannah Danzy, a psychology major, is not personally adverse to the decision because the restaurants are still open.
“However, I feel like it’s inconsiderate for some students who do not have good living situations and need other places to hang out instead of their rooms,” she said. “Other students would rather study in the Hardy Center instead of the library because going from their residence halls to the library is a long stroll.”
Some students felt as though they were being penalized for the actions of one or two individuals, and felt the situation could have been handled differently.
Junior Ty’Queria Evans a junior majoring in psychology is one of those students.
“I feel like we are being restricted from being a college student and it sucks how we suffer for the actions of others.”
According to Crowder, the university had good reason to restrict the hours in the Hardy Center and they are going to open a police precinct soon so incidents (vandalism) like this will not happen again.
“One key initiative includes establishing a precinct for public safety officers directly inside the John Garrick Hardy Center. This development is a testament to the university’s approach to integrating safety measures within the campus environment, focusing on a more proactive and accessible security presence.”
She continued.
“By creating a precinct inside the center, the university aims to provide a rapid and effective response to any safety concerns. This strategy allows for a balanced approach to safety, blending visibility with the efficiency of response, and reflects the university’s dedication to creating a secure and supportive environment for its community.”
There are students who have classes from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. and they are forced to leave classes early so they can make it to the Hardy Center before it closes.
Junior Kymesha Thompson, who is majoring in legal studies, is concerned about food accessibility.
“At first I thought it would be difficult when it comes to getting food, but now closing hours seems to be okay with me,” she said. “It is kind of nerve wrecking to wait in those long lines when it is close to closing time, but other than that, it is okay with me.”
Crowder offered her thoughts on students who might be affected because of evening classes.
“For students attending classes from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. who might be hungry and without transportation options, the John Garrick Hardy Center offers a practical solution — the eateries within the Student Center will continue to serve to-go orders until 9 p.m., extending your options for evening meals,” Crowder said. “Please enter through the main entrance of the Student Center to gain access to these eateries after 6 p.m. This arrangement allows you to enjoy a variety of food selections, catering to your dinner needs even after traditional hours. This meal service will remain in effect until all new safety measures are fully in place, ensuring you have consistent access to convenient and flexible dining solutions that suit your schedule and needs.”
According to Crowder, the university plans on replacing all the doors in the center to secure the student’s safety. This initiative is aimed at increasing safety within the center.
She also added that the university has prepared things for students to still participate in while the center is closed as well as the restrictions on in-room visitation being lifted.
“In response to the limited number of facilities, the university is actively encouraging students to utilize alternative resources to support their academic efforts and social needs,” Crowder said. “The university has relocated the ‘Everybody Loves Study Hall’ to the library, allowing students to continue benefiting from this program in a conducive environment.”
She continued.
“To further accommodate students’ academic requirements, we are encouraging students to use the academic computer lab for schoolwork. The Student Center is also still available until 6 p.m., providing a space for students to gather and engage in various activities. Moreover, in a recent move to enhance student life, visitation rights in the resident halls will soon be reinstated, offering students more flexibility in their social interactions.”
These measures demonstrate the university’s commitment to creating a supportive and adaptable environment for all students, ensuring they have the necessary resources and facilities to thrive academically and socially, despite the constraints on available spaces.
“I welcome any concerns raised by students regarding the origin of activities and programs on campus. In response, we want to emphasize that we are always open to new and innovative programming ideas that students believe would enhance their university experience,” Crowder said. “If any student has a proposal for an activity or program they feel passionate about, we strongly encourage them to reach out to the Office of Student Life and the University Programs and Activities Board (UPAAB). Both entities are dedicated to assisting students in exploring the options available to help bring program ideas to life.”