WHO WILL BE THE NEXT SGA VICE PRESIDENT?

Could it be Jade Davis?

Photo by JAELYN STANSBURY/MANAGING EDITOR

SGA Executive Vice President candidate Jade Davis makes her case for why she should be the next vice president during the ‘Meet the Candidates’ event.

Denise Ringo, Staff Reporter/ Writer

Q: Give me a short job description of what you feel is the job of the SGA Executive Vice President.
A: I feel that the SGA executive vice president’s main job is to be an advocate and a vessel of change for the student body. Because the vice president presides over student senate meetings and the second executive officer in command to the SGA president, it is vital that the person who fills that role is an effective communicator, a listening ear and a strong, everlasting voice of the students.

Q: What do you plan to do, if you are elected, to be more “hands-on” with the student body?
A: When preparing for campaign season, I thought back to my previous years of speaking to SGA candidates, and I could never recall when any candidate asked me what I would like to see happen at ASU. Since then, I made it my mission to work with the students to fulfill what we would like to see, not just as an individual. Being ‘hands-on’ doesn’t only include me speaking to students, elected or not, I plan to keep an ongoing relationship with students to advocate, remain transparent and provide resources. Additionally, if elected, I plan to be the “connector” of students to administrators and university departments and continue to stay engaged and listen to the student body.

Q: What are some of the goals and objectives that you would like to accomplish as the SGA executive vice president?
A: By asking students their concerns and what changes they would like to see, I was able to create the initiatives that I plan to spark as SGA vice president. First, I plan to utilize my professional relationships with administrators and university departments to solve student issues. Also, I would like for students to know their rights, create more organization and policies within the SGA and enact meaningful changes that last.

Q: If, for some reason, that you had to take over as the SGA executive president, would you continue what the former president was doing or would you implement a new agenda?
A: The great thing about the SGA is that it’s a team. This means that even if each officer has their own personal initiatives, the SGA administration will have an overall goal that they are all working to accomplish. With that being said, I wouldn’t expect to have to implement an entirely new agenda. Although I may have a different working and leadership style, I plan on collaborating with the other SGA officers and the student body to work toward what we believe is best for us as the students.

Q: What would you say were the weaknesses of the current administration?
A: From my experiences with the current SGA administration, I believe that their weaknesses are consistency, communication and collaboration. It can be easy to implement something but it may not work out as planned, however, that is why it is important to communicate and remain honest and transparent with the student body, which is something that our current administration can improve. Also, ensuring that the SGA is collaborating and connecting with other campus organizations and SGA members effectively and as a team.

Q: What are the top three qualities that you believe an SGA executive vice president should possess?
A: An SGA Vice President should be an active listener, a great communicator and persevering. I don’t think that position would be impactful otherwise.

Q: What political experiences have you had that would make you the right candidate for this position?
A: As a political science major and a student leader, I have had the privilege to be in many political spaces that have taught me a great deal about government and politics.
For example, this semester I was able to attend the Collegiate Legislature Conference on behalf of our student senate. At the conference, I was able to argue bills in the Alabama State Senate and House chambers, expand my knowledge of parliamentary procedure, and make connections with SGA’s from across the state of Alabama. I also was honored to receive the “Outstanding Delegate Award.” Additionally, I recently graduated from my six-month fellowship with the Ronald Regan Fellowship and Institute. During the fellowship, I learned about civic leadership, met advocates from all over the world, and applied my passions to real world issues, and in turn, implemented solutions. Throughout my life, I’ve had a passion for advocacy, leadership, and service. I plan to apply the experiences that I’ve had and don’t to gain to the role of SGA vice president- as well as, bring back the resources from valuable experiences to share with the students of ASU.