Student Leaders hold “farewell banquet”

Photo by JAELYN STANSBURY/MANAGING EDITOR

Miss Alabama State University Aleah Robinson receives several gifts and appreciation awards during the farewell ceremony.

Kendal Manns, Editor-in-Chief

Entertainment mogul and chief executive officer of Edmonds Entertainment Tracey Edmonds served as the keynote speaker for Alabama State University scholars who maintained a grade point average of 3.0-4.0 during the 2022-23 academic school year.
During the annual Honors Day Convocation, held virtually, on April 21, 2023, Edmonds congratulated the scholars and offered some reflections of her own life.
“Now, when I was trying to think of what to say to you today, I had to reflect back on where I was mentally and emotionally when I was in college,” she said. “Even though I didn’t attend ASU, like most of you, I wasn’t quite certain as to what I wanted to be in life when I was in college.”
Edmonds attended college with hopes of becomeing a medical doctor, but found herself working in the entertainment industry for over 30 years and is now a television and film producer by trade.
“Everyone can create their best life by striving to be the best at whatever you do and knowing that you and only you are in control of your life,” Edmonds said. “Always bet on yourself. It’s never a gamble if you bet on yourself because it puts you in control. But in order to bet on yourself, you first have to believe in yourself. Believe that you can do it. Believe that you deserve it, and believe that you’ll get it.”
She encouraged students to have courage in their pursuits of careers.
“You are braver than you think, more talented than you know and more capable than you can ever imagine … So, believe in what you are right now, winners.”
However, she did caution the honor students regarding adversity.
“There will be challenges in life,’ Edmonds said. “It’s how you handle those challenges that will set you apart from the rest. … You will learn from every challenge and every challenge will make you stronger.”
She concluded with a simple message.
“For me, I learned that my best life was when I was in control of my life,” she said. “So, when writing the story of your life, don’t let anyone else hold the pen. Keep your life in your hands. You have the power to create that beautiful life that you want.”
Student Government Association (SGA) Executive President Dylan Stallworth presided over the program.
“Although this year’s honors convocation is different,” he said. “Alabama State University is committed to acknowledging the accomplishments of all students.”
Due to the limitations of hosting the event virtually, the posting of the colors and the national anthem were pre recorded. For the national anthem, lyrics were also displayed so that anyone watching could sing along if they wished.
The Alabama State University choir pre recorded their performance of “How Great Thou Art,” arranged by Dan Forest. The choir was led by conductor Kristoff Sanchack, Ph.D.
University President Quinton T. Ross, Jr., Ed.D., greeted the honors students and gave some encouraging remarks.
“Today, we not only celebrate you for your phenomenal achievements at Alabama State University, but also who you are set to become in your future, and the amazing way you will continue to represent O’ Mother Dear. Alabama State University is the standard in innovation, leadership and excellence, and today, we proudly see these stands in full bloom. … Today, it is an honor to celebrate this impactful group of future leaders.”
He then encouraged those watching to applaud not only the students being honored, but also the faculty that helped shepherd them to success.
The students were named alphabetically on a slow moving screen, with live comments from friends and families from all over the country congratulating them on their diligent studies as students at Alabama State University.
The ceremony was closed out with the Alabama State University hymn.