Hornets lose hard fought battle against North Alabama Lions

The Alabama State University Hornet Volleyball team fell to the University of North Alabama Lions 3-1 on Sept. 5 in George H. Lockhart Gymnasium.  The Hornets came into the game with a 0-8 record, while the Lions had a 2-3 record.

Lion senior middle blocker Anna Katherine Griggs had 16 kills and two blocks while Lion senior setter Kennedey Johnson had an astonishing 45 assists. For the Hornets, outside hitters Jylen Whitten and Christyn Ashby led the team in kills with 11 each.

Hornet senior setter Madison Beasley had a season-high 22 assists in the game. Beasley also became the first player in Hornet history to reach 1,000 career assists.

In the first set, the Lions had the momentum early as they led 8-4. The Hornets gave up eight free points due to attack errors being committed. Ashby scored two kills to help cut the Lions lead to three and bring the score to 23-20. The Lions held the Hornets off to secure the first set 25-21.

The Hornets gained momentum in the second set, going on a 3-0 run. A ball-handling error by Beasley followed by two kills by Lions’ freshman outside hitter Avery Markham helped the Lions get ahead 7-3. The Hornets kept fighting, scoring eight consecutive points to tie the set 27-27. The crowd cheered as Beasley hit the kill that won set two 29-27. The Hornets tied the game 1-1.

The third set was back and forth until the Lions jumped ahead 13-8. The Hornets were able to pull to within two at 18-16 following a kill from Whitten. The Lions went on a 3-0 run to claim set two and lead 2-1.

The fourth set saw the Lions grab a 9-5 lead before the Hornets went on a 3-0 run to make the score 9-8. The Hornets did not give up and managed to keep the game close. Kills from Whitten and Gaines tied the set at 19-19. However, the Lions scored the final six points to win the set and the match.