Hornet defense or Bulldog offense are keys to unlocking the Magic City Classic

The largest historically Black college and university football classic in the nation is right around the corner as the Alabama State University Hornets will face off against their rival, the Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University Bulldogs, in the 82nd annual Magic City Classic on October 28 at 2 p.m. at Legion Field in Birmingham, Alabama.

The Hornets come into the game with a 3-3 record, while the Bulldogs are 4-3. Both teams have a 2-2 conference record at the midway point of the season. The stakes are high for both teams, as a win in the Magic City Classic can put either team near the top of the SWAC (SouthWestern Athletic Conference) East.

Hornets Head Coach Eddie Robinson Jr. spoke about the rivalry between the two schools.

“It’s just a great rivalry,” he said.  “Both schools do so much for the state of Alabama, so we support each other, but we are sworn enemies that last Saturday in October.”

It will be a great battle between the Bulldogs offense and the Hornet defense. The Bulldogs explosive offense is currently on top of the SWAC, averaging 34 points per game, while the Hornets defense is only giving up 18 points per game.

This factor will be key to who wins this game. If the Hornets defense can slow their rivals high-scoring offense, then they will have a greater chance of leaving Legion Field with a win. Bulldogs’ cornerback Emari Pait leads the SWAC in interceptions with three. He will be matched up against the Hornets star wide receiver Kisean Johnson, who leads the conference with 471 receiving yards and three touchdowns.

The Hornets have struggled on the offensive side of the ball all season. The Hornets have been rotating quarterbacks Demetrius Davis and Damon Stewart throughout games. Both quarterbacks have shown flashes of potential but have issues with consistency.

The Hornets will need one of the quarterbacks to put on a good show if they want a chance of defeating the Bulldogs. Nonetheless, fans can expect an entertaining game with a great halftime show in “The Magic City.”

Robinson said, “We know this is a game that we have to try and win if we really want to say we’re contenders to win the SWAC East and that we have a chance to win the SWAC Championship.”