Official student newspaper of Alabama State University

The Hornet Tribune

The Hornet Tribune

The Hornet Tribune

Evening Out Formal Wear
Heritage Barbershop

Hornets dominate Tuskegee Golden Tigers 41-3

The Alabama State University Hornets were victorious against the Tuskegee University Golden Tigers 41-3 in the 99th annual Turkey Day Classic on Nov. 23 at the ASU Stadium. The Hornets close out the season on a high note as their offense were clicking on all cylinders and totaled 316 offensive yards.

Hornets wide receiver Robert McMinn returned the opening kickoff 89 yards for a touchdown to give the Hornets an early 6-0 lead after the extra point was missed.

The Golden Tigers converted a 3rd and 5 after wide receiver Antonio Meeks caught a pass from quarterback Bryson Williams. Running back Zina Mulbah broke free for a 30-yard run.

On second down, Tigers running back Johnny Morris was tackled for a seven yard loss by Hornets linebacker Demarcus Cunningham.

Hornets quarterback Damon Stewart was sacked on the Hornets first offensive play. They went three and out after Stewart’s pass on third down was thrown out of bounds.

Williams was sacked for a loss of 13 yards by Hornets defensive end Treqwan Thomas.

The Hornets extended their lead 13-0 with two minutes left in the 1st quarter when Stewart found fullback Dylan Creech wide open for a 26 yard touchdown.

The Golden Tigers went three and out after Williams had incompletions on second and third down.

McMinns’ huge punt return set up the Hornets at the 25-yard line. The Hornets were unable to capitalize as on third down a pass was dropped by running back AJ Gates. The Hornets attempted a field goal, but it was no good.

Tuskegee tried to get their offense going as Meeks caught a 30-yard pass to put the Golden Tigers in the Hornets redzone.

The Hornets next offensive possession would end quickly when Stewart fumbled and the ball was recovered by the Golden Tigers.

Alabama State would get the ball back after Tusegee failed to convert fourth and four. With only two minutes left until halftime the Hornets tried to push the ball downfield.

Stewart connected with wide receiver Isaiah Scott to increase their lead 20-3 heading into halftime.

The struggles on offense continued for Tuskegee in the second half. Williams was  hit as he threw the ball and it was intercepted by Hornets defensive back Cail Jackson Jr.

Alabama State began to lean on the running game. Running back Ja’Won Howell had an explosive 30-yard run before a short 2-yard run for a touchdown.

With the score now being 27-3, the Golden Tigers desperately needed a touchdown if they wanted any hope of getting back into the game.

Morris broke free for a 21-yard run. A holding penalty would bring the run back

Williams would then throw his second interception, this time to Hornets defensive back Chauncey Moore.

Stewart found wide receiver Tyree Shaunders wide open for a pick-up of 19. On 3rd and one, running back Marcus Harris was stopped short but an offside penalty on Tuskegee gave Alabama State the first down.

Stewart threw his third touchdown of the evening to wide receiver Asa Gregg, pushing the lead to 34-3 heading in the fourth quarter.

The Golden Tigers got the ball back at their 20-yard line. Morris was tackled for a loss of 6 by Moore.

Williams scrambled but did not pick up the first down, forcing them to punt the ball away.

Hornet wide receiver Will Sparks caught a pass picked up first down.

Golden Tiger defensive back Noah Holton sacked Stewart on first down and the Hornets were called for holding on second down.

Shaunders caught a pass on third and 25 to pick up the first down and keep the clock moving. With 1:10 left in the final quarter, wide receiver Tee Lee ran 14-yards for a touchdown, closing out the 99th Turkey Day Classic 41-3