Hornets stunned as they fall to Miles College

Justin B. Freeman
Alabama State University Hornets wide receiver Robert McMinn returns a punt for a 30-yard gain against the Miles College Golden Bears during the Sept. 9 matchup in Hornet Stadium.

It was the second game of the season and the crowds were even larger and louder than last year, counting down the minutes until the Hornets hit the field expecting another great contest between the Alabama State University Hornets vs. the Miles College Golden Bears in a fight to victory.
The Hornets have been the victors for the past two years and ran out of the tunner with every expectation to win again this year. Especially since coming off a fight-to-the-finish victory against the Southern University Jaguars in the Labor Day Classic last week.
What started the evening in cheers ended the night with faces full of sorrow. Cornerback Ethan Tookes scored the first touchdown of the game with a 70 yard interception return.
“I knew they were going to do a screen so I bent on the screen real hard and I caught the ball and scored,” Tookes said.
Buckling down and getting the job done was all a part of the plan for Tookes.
“This is my first game starting as a freshman, my coaches believed in me to come in and play and once I was given the opportunity I knew it was my time to do what’s right,” Tookes said.
Another touchdown was later scored by wide receiver Kisean Johnson during the second quarter putting the Hornets in the lead by 14. However, as quickly as Johnson made the touchdown, opposing wide receiver Jaih Andrews scored one as well.
Although the Hornets did not score another touchdown a field goal was made putting us at 17 for the final score, just 5 points away from opposing team miles. With scores like these the hornets are still up and on their game ready to take back the victory during the next game.