Lady Hornets suffer disappointing lost on the road

The Alabama State University Lady Hornets suffered a disappointing 52-85 loss on the road against the University of Arkansas-Pine Bluff (UAPB) Golden Lions on Jan. 8 at H.O. Clemmons Arena. The Golden Lions had four players who scored 10 or more points. Leading the way was senior center Maya Peat, who had 17 points, seven rebounds and three steals.

The Lady Hornets struggled to get anything going early on. Senior forward Cordasia Harris had 11 points and 13 rebounds, marking the third time this season she hit the double-double mark. Freshman guard April Hooks finished with 13 points.

The Lady Hornets were inefficient shooting the ball, as they shot a 29% field goal percentage, while the Lady Golden Lions shot 40%. The Lady Hornets trailed by double digits the entire game.

The Lady Golden Lions went on a 22-0 run at the start of the game and led 33-11 at the end of the first half, 33-11. The Lady Golden Lions were dominant in the paint. Eighteen of their 33 points in the first half came from the paint.

Turnovers were critical, as the Lady Hornets turned the ball over 31 times, and the Lady Golden Lions were able to score 35 points off those turnovers.

The Lady Golden Lions’ impressive play continued into the second half, with the score being 45-24 heading into halftime.

The lead continued to widen for the Lady Golden Lions heading into the final minutes of the contest. The Lady Hornets went on a small 5-0 run with three minutes to go to bring the score to 81-50. The Golden Lions responded and shut down any chance of a comeback as they cruised their way to their seventh win of the season.