SGA Presidential Candidate: Juene K. Franklin II

Micah Sanders, Managing Editor for Editorial Operations

Son of Tawanda and Juene K. Franklin, sr., junior finance major Juene K. Franklin II is running to be the 2021-2022 Student Government Association (SGA) president. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Franklin II graduated from Glenda Dawson High School with prestigious honors and went on to pursue his secondary education at the illustrious Alabama State University. Recipient of the presidential scholarship, which covers full tuition, books, fees, and room and board, Franklin II chose to embrace the opportunity from a historically Black university and college (HBCU). “I chose Alabama State because this school believed in me when I was in high school and I just took a leap of faith.” Since becoming a student of the Hornet Nation, Franklin II has been a member of the National Association of Black Accountants (NABA), is currently serving as an SGA Senator for the 2020-2021 academic school year, and won Mr. Street Team during his freshman year, all while currently holding a 3.475 GPA. With sophomore finance major, Dasani Stallworth, as Franklin II’s campaign manager and twin sister to Dylan Stallworth, vice-presidential candidate, the W.O.A.H. administration believes that they have what it takes to be the next leaders of the university.

Q: Why are you running for this office?

A:  I am running for office because Alabama State has given me three years of excellence. I have been able to thrive as a student and I am almost complete with my journey. As my platform states, I look to Win, Overachieve, be held Accountable, and display Humility (W.O.A.H.). This position will give me the opportunity to finish my journey the correct way. Upon winning, I will be able to help students with the wisdom I’ve gained throughout my three years, to hopefully be successful for themselves. For as much as Alabama State has given to me, it would be selfish if I didn’t attempt to aid and assist the students of ASU in the best way possible.

Q: What political things have you done since arriving at ASU?

A:  I am not a politician. Other than the student senate this year, I have not done anything political in my past. However, this will not stop me from being able to achieve the goals I want. I have been able to help students since I was a freshman. From tutoring my friends to emailing professors on others’ behalf, my list of serving the student body is honestly endless. My lack of political experience does not determine whether I can be a sufficient president or not because, at the end of the day, the job is to work for the people. I have been working for the people since I was a freshman, so this will be nothing new.

Q: What issues do you plan to address in the first 30 days of your term, if elected and why?

A:  In this situation we’re in, I will be sure to address any COVID-19  protocols in my first 30 days. I plan to work with the university to come to a solution for vaccinations on campus. Although I don’t believe everybody should be forced, every student who wants to be vaccinated should be able to do so via Alabama State University. Also, housing is always a great issue around this time. With that in mind, I think that it’ll be well within my duty to help the student body with any issue they have with housing and collaborate with the university to be sure that all of my students are taken care of to the best of our abilities.

Q: Do you know the number of students who are enrolled at ASU, the SGA’s budget, and the university’s budget?

A:  The budget for the SGA is $29,401, we have approximately 4,000 undergrad students, and I am unsure of the university budget.

Q: Do you believe the SGA’s budget should be increased and if so, why? (please get a detailed reason(s) for what the money will be used for).

A:   When speaking on a budget increase, we have to understand why we’re increasing the budget. The college experience is irreplaceable, and with that, my students should be able to enjoy college thoroughly. Amidst the pandemic, the WOAH administration will collaborate with the university to evaluate what events students need, what the SGA budget entails, and then discuss possible expansions.

Q: What are some concrete things that you want to see accomplished before leaving office next year?

A:  While I am in office, I want to lay a foundation for students in the future to follow. I want to develop an organized system where students at each academic college are sat down and deeply advised on what their college career will look like in the next four years. It’s important that we do this so students can learn their freshman year what they actually intend to do, while also helping them understand what skills can make them attracted to employers. I also want to be sure that we start helping our students understand what true professional development is. Helping them understand how to answer behavior vs. technical questions, what is appropriate to ask and what isn’t, and just any general professional polish. I also want to collaborate with the Small Business Development Center (SBDC), and really put them on the front line so students who are looking to be entrepreneurs, or students who already are entrepreneurs, can get the support they need. Ultimately, I want to set the tone for the next years to come. We have had some great presidents in my years as a Hornet, and I plan to continue the trend. Upon winning, I will dedicate myself to the betterment of Alabama State University, because we do not get the respect we deserve.